Open-Source Win: RADV Trades Blows With AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan In F1 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Win: RADV Trades Blows With AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan In F1 2017

Phoronix: Open-Source Win: RADV Trades Blows With AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan In F1 2017

Here are some of the most exciting RADV vs. AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan performance benchmarks we have seen to date... The AMDGPU-PRO official AMD Vulkan Linux driver does run with Feral's latest Linux game port, F1 2017, but the community-driven, open-source RADV Vulkan driver often outperforms it!

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hope the next amdgpu pro release brings a Vulkan performance uplift.

Comment

That's incredible considering that RADV was originally started as a joke as Dave said if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
        That's incredible considering that RADV was originally started as a joke as Dave said if I remember correctly.
        it is quite impressive that in ~1 year they brought up a damn good driver built upon all the open source AMD goodness

it gives me warm fuzzies just looking in from the outside!

Comment

The same game, at same quality settings (Ultra High) at 1080p, on DX11, Windows 10, gets about 115 FPS on a Vega 56
          On Linux, using the open source RADV drivers, with a DX11->Vulkan ported game, the same card gets 98 FPS..

I wonder how much of that actually comes down to either RADV not being fully baked yet in all areas, or because the game has a DX11->Vulkan shim inbetween.. Either way, damn - i'm impressed!

Comment

Originally posted by Karbowiak View Post
            I wonder how much of that actually comes down to either RADV not being fully baked yet in all areas, or because the game has a DX11->Vulkan shim inbetween.. Either way, damn - i'm impressed!
            Guess in the wind: RADV may still have something like 30% performance to go, the porting-losses also are ~20% on average. Games on Linux w/o porting losses should already be equally fast compared to Windows and if RADV is matured, we should see a consistent pattern of Linux being faster than windows.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
              Let's not forget that it uses amdgpu kernel developed and maintained by AMD and also reuses part of RadeonSI also by AMD. So I would say it's built by Dave and Bas on top of AMD's work.

Also it would be nice to have both RADV and AMD Vulkan implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post
                Also it would be nice to have both RADV and AMD Vulkan implementation.
                It will be some fun healthy competition between them once AMD open sources it.

Comment

Has anyone had any problems? My system freezes after a few seconds of starting to play the game. I'm using Mesa 17.2.3 with openSUSE Tumbleweed, running RX480 and Ryzen 5 1600. I have tried to update the bios to the latest version and force the kernel update 4.14rc7, but it still fails.

I think I have identified the problem. It seems to happen when I activate the "smoke shadows" option.

Any help?

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post
                    Let's not forget that it uses amdgpu kernel developed and maintained by AMD and also reuses part of RadeonSI also by AMD. So I would say it's built by Dave and Bas on top of AMD's work.
                    I would guess Marek hasn't forgotten that.

Comment

Working...
                    X