16-Way NVIDIA GeForce vs. AMD Radeon Comparison - August 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    How do you run Vulkan on hardware that does not support it anyway?
    (cards not supported by amdgpu)
    I didn't say that I did?

I said that I *want* to be able to use Vulkan on my HD 7970 using FLOSS drivers once I buy a Vega for my Windows box and switch one of my HD 7970s over to my Linux dev box. AFAICT, GCN 1.1 and 1.0 support has been/is being added to the amdgpu kernel drm driver, but it's still experimental.

Or am I misunderstanding your question?
    Last edited by ermo; 08 August 2017, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Is anyone else on the thread running amdgpu+radv on SI today ?
      I've been using it since January or so on an A10-7860K (Kaveri/Godavari Sea Islands GCN 2nd or 1.1) using the integrated graphics with HDMI working flawlessly on a CIK enabled kernel and kernel boot parameter amdgpu.exp_hw_support=1. And a functional RadV.

Same APU has now been paired with a dedicated RX 560 Polaris 21 GCN 4th and runs the same amdgpu kernel + radeonSI user-space combo with M-bab modified kernel for HDMI to barely work (in the meantime of having display code in 4.12 or more 4.13.like so but still not for 4.14 though might be 4.15).

Burps.
      Last edited by Mez'; 08 August 2017, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Well the Fury is looking quite healthy except for RADV and Dota performance for the most part. I have a FuryX and its a REAL SHAME AMD didn't find a way to get 8GB HBM1 happening (I understand its a tech limit). I hit the 4GB limit on my FuryX with almost every game now, keeping in mine I only game at 4k since that is my native resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          can we please make the switch from radeon-kernel-driver to amdgpu kernel driver for GCN1.0+1.1 cards ?
          AMD should have a interest in this and if only for PR reasons. so many people are confused with that.
          There's a pattern we follow... I say "it's coming up on time to change the default", MrCooper reminds me that there are still some missing features, but each time the list is smaller (although IIRC we need DAL upstream to get it to zero). After a while I forget and say "it's coming up on time to change the default" again...

Is the same with the OpenCL... that there is no working openCL driver for end-users on older hardware really confused the people to the max. even if it does not generate new hardware sales good PR is maybe more woth than that. so improve clover-openCL or at minimum a installer for the closed source openCL implementation is the minimum.
          We are working on installer + code changes as I said yesterday, and the day before, and maybe the day before that too
          Test signature

Comment

Using RADV+SI here on my Pitcairn GPU. I have had Talos Principle running in the past. But Doom hangs my system on loading the main menu. Also the vkcube demo fails to launch with a memory error. So Vulkan for me has been a mixed bag.

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

In the past have generally run them fullscreen, but recently with AMDGPU+RadeonSI have noticed a rare-to-semi-common occurrence where when exiting Unigine Heaven/Valley, the driver has issues -- basically it doesn't re mode-set to the display's expected resolution (usually using 4K displays but using 1080p for Unigine tests when demanding) and also 3D seems to break at the same time until rebooting.
              Is that with xf86-video-amdgpu or modesetting? If the former, is there a bug report about it? Don't expect it to get fixed if there isn't.

Comment

So this means we can say that AMDGPU becomes the standard kernel-part for GCN1.0+1.1 after DAL/DC is in the upstream linus torvald kernel.
                That should be basically it for CIK (1.1). For SI (1.0), amdgpu already supports HDMI/DP audio, but doesn't support UVD & VCE yet.

Comment

Working...
                X