Temperature, Fan, Overdrive on ATI x1950xtx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature, Fan, Overdrive on ATI x1950xtx

Hi all, this is my first post here on phoronix!

I'm tryin' to use my ATI x1950xtx on my linux box, I'm not a newbie in linux (I work as sysadmin), but this is my first "gaming" video card

I put an external thermometer on the board, in order to check a temperature, it seems that is getting too hot without increase fan speed (I hear always the same noise from it..). In WindowsXP everything working fine.

I can't get temperature value from my GPU, if I try to get it with "--odgt", it reports me an error (even if i run it from root user):

~$ aticonfig --od-enable
    ATI Overdrive(TM) enabled

$ aticonfig --odgt
    ERROR - Get temperature failed for the Default Adapter - Radeon X1950 Series

The same thing happens if I try to get clocks:

$ aticonfig --odgc
    ERROR - Get clocks failed for the Default Adapter - Radeon X1950 Series

I also tried to "downclock" with PowerPlay features, but "--list-powerstates" reports me only one state.

I try to find if ati-config uses some i2c drivers or bus, with strace and so on..but i can't find any references useful for my work.

So, there is a way to get this feature working? My primary objective is to avoid too high temperatures on my VGA card, but I would like to play some linux games or do something with blender, so I have to get clocks and temperature and, why not?, FAN (values and control..).

In Windows there's many softwares, like AtiTool, there's something similar in linux?

After an extensive google session, I've found a tool that can set\display ATI powerstates, AtiPower [1]. Now i can modify my clocks according to values showed in Xorg.0.log...

I would like to find a similar tool that reads temperature\fan values..

I do a stress test of GPU (with many istances of glxgears), fan seems start when external temperature (i put my sensor over the copper cooler) reachs about 46?C... it's quite hot, maybe i can modify thresholds in bios..but i don't like this way..

1: http://websupport.sk/~stanojr/projects/atipower/

Comment

Unfortunately OverDrive and temperature-reading is only supported on 4xxx-series Radeons. I found out the hard way as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
        Unfortunately OverDrive and temperature-reading is only supported on 4xxx-series Radeons. I found out the hard way as well.
        So it isn't any way to know temperature of our cards?

I see that every powerplay commands (--pplib-cmd) I've seen on the web are not supported (it says me that "get" isn't a valid command)

I try to reverse AtiTool, maybe i can get a way to read gpu temp.. If I found something, I'll post it here..

Comment

Working...
        X