NVIDIA Introduces Low-Profile GeForce GT 1030

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devius View Post
    Why are they still making cards with 64-bit memory interfaces?
    Because there are still a ton of people with relatively old PCs (core duos and AM2/AM3 stuff) that have total shit iGPUs that might want a decent card for desktop and movies and whatever but not gaming.

Also because Intel insists in placing crappy iGPUs in lower-end processors that are like 90% of the PCs sold to the general pubblic.

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
      Without forget cut vga port, this could be problematic if you want refresh old pc (however hdmi-vga converter stay in market but add more cost to initial buy)
      Who in the name of zod still has screens with VGA ports only anyway. I have DVI + VGA screens that have like 10+ years.

Also, good riddance, and I hope DVI suffers the same fate soon. You can get HDMI-DVI passive adapters for peanuts, having a DVI-D port makes no sense.

GPU manufacturers should drop DVI and add 2 Displayports in its footprint (total of one HDMI + 2 DP)

Comment

None of the cards I see mentioned as "low profile" here seem to match what I think of as low profile, which is something that is a half height card with a half height bracket. If your "low profile" card needs a full height bracket with slots in it for proper cooling, what's the point? I know I'm probably in a fairly small market segment in wanting this, but as it stands my options are woefully underpowered consumer cards (Radeon R5 330/Geforce GT 740) or wildly overpriced workstation cards (FirePro W4300). Am I insane for wanting a half height machine with something substantially better than integrated graphics? Am I somehow missing a reasonable option?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Also because Intel insists in placing crappy iGPUs in lower-end processors that are like 90% of the PCs sold to the general pubblic.
          The Intel stuff isn't all that bad. I'd say the best Linux drivers and especially for HTPC use, the best tear-free experience. The drivers work out of the box and are in sync with mainline. Joy to use. I don't have 4k, but on 2560x1600 no problemo. Lightweight commercial OpenGL indie games work even on IVB. I'm not even expecting more.

My experience with GF 730 (on HTPC):
          - nouveau hangs every 8 hours, has issues with two screens if refresh rate or resolution differ , slow, advertises opengl 3.x support (not 4.x) on fresh OS install
          - proprietary drivers a PITA to set up manually, hang with KMS set on, video decoders drop frames (opengl, vaapi, vdpau, you name it) with all apps (kodi, mpv, mplayer, vlc, browsers), slow draw ops on desktop, horrible tearing in HTML5 video

So yea.. don't see any reason to use Geforce other than games.

Comment

Originally posted by strtj View Post
            None of the cards I see mentioned as "low profile" here seem to match what I think of as low profile, which is something that is a half height card with a half height bracket. If your "low profile" card needs a full height bracket with slots in it for proper cooling, what's the point? I know I'm probably in a fairly small market segment in wanting this, but as it stands my options are woefully underpowered consumer cards (Radeon R5 330/Geforce GT 740) or wildly overpriced workstation cards (FirePro W4300). Am I insane for wanting a half height machine with something substantially better than integrated graphics? Am I somehow missing a reasonable option?
            You can make a liquid cooling mod. Switch to a small one slot back panel or cut the other half off, replace the GPU cooler with a cooling block. Done. For example I use liquid cooling on my Mini ITX HTPC because the TV stand has no space for ventilation on the back, very little space on the side. So, a single 140mm cooler and radiator blows all the hot air out from the front. You can really feel the warmth when playing high end games. GTX 1080 and 10% overclocked i4770k.

Comment

None of the cards I see mentioned as "low profile" here seem to match what I think of as low profile, which is something that is a half height card with a half height bracket.
              Selected SKUs (if not nearly any) include changable lprofile bracket, MSI, EVGA, Zotac, etc... just take a deep look Maybe they should all post pictures like this, so that people like you aren't in doubt

Picture reminds me on Debian's default which his "hard" to install to some without screwdriver knowledge

Last edited by dungeon; 17 May 2017, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Will this require a new kernel, or is it plug-and-play with any recent kernel that is already compatible with Pascal? Will Mesa and libDRM need to be updated as well?

Comment

None of the cards I see mentioned as "low profile" here seem to match what I think of as low profile, which is something that is a half height card with a half height bracket.
                  You think they make half-height cards for lulz? All half-height cards usually come with full height and half height bracket, and require the user to (gasp! OMG!) manipulate screws to change them. These are no exception.

There are also full height cards because the fanless cooler is either full height or two-slot, but if there is a fan they fit in single slot and half height.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

The Intel stuff isn't all that bad. I'd say the best Linux drivers and especially for HTPC use, the best tear-free experience. The drivers work out of the box and are in sync with mainline. Joy to use. I don't have 4k, but on 2560x1600 no problemo. Lightweight commercial OpenGL indie games work even on IVB. I'm not even expecting more.

My experience with GF 730 (on HTPC):
                    - nouveau hangs every 8 hours, has issues with two screens if refresh rate or resolution differ , slow, advertises opengl 3.x support (not 4.x) on fresh OS install
                    - proprietary drivers a PITA to set up manually, hang with KMS set on, video decoders drop frames (opengl, vaapi, vdpau, you name it) with all apps (kodi, mpv, mplayer, vlc, browsers), slow draw ops on desktop, horrible tearing in HTML5 video

So yea.. don't see any reason to use Geforce other than games.
                    Not to disagree with you, but I was talking primarily of windows.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                      Unfortunately, these cards are useless for Linux HTPC users at this time because ...
                      Thank you for your message! I was really unaware of these VDPAU&NVDECODE problems & doomed future.
                      I'll be soon on the market to replace my fanless 520GT to get hevc 4k hardware decode + hdr (with hdmi 2.0b) and run with kodi.
                      This card looked really nice for that, but pitty, now a lot less.

Do you have any recommendation on a budget to fill the HTPC 4K HDR requirements (now or within 1 year)?

I guess AMD would do it nice when the DAL/DC will be integrated in the kernel (if); but amd has no fanless polaris card atm.

Comment

Working...
                      X