• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks!

I've seen that and also this Nvidia card:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/pali...oost-passive-c

Any thoughts on that? :-)

p.s. I'd like a card that can do OpenCL for occasional video conversion. (with open source driver)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      XFX makes a RX460 fanless card (dual slot). https://www.techpowerup.com/225402/x...-graphics-card
      These can still be found, at least in EU.

Single-slot versions with fan are already in very short supply (and prices for them have skyrocketed).
      I really wanted that XFX passive RX460 to minimize the noise of my HTPC.while still getting decent performance for occasional gaming. It is simply the most powerful fanless AMD card out there.
      Unfortunately that big pipe on the heatsink goes beyond the card and makes it slightly too high for my case. Hence I went for the single fan low profile single slot XFX 4GB RX-460 instead that will definitely fit into the case.

I also ensured noise and temperature would not jeopardize the near silence of my case (fanless power supply with only a quiet noctua cpu fan running). Michael's RX 460 is probably another model as his own temperature levels compare badly to all the tests I've seen of this particular card.

Comment

From reading this site, AMD graphic cards appear to have better open source drivers, and I like that concept, but what is the everyday advantage for this?

I'm not a big gamer but do enjoy games like Civ6.
        I'd like to explore programming on graphics cards.

Comment

Originally posted by EricBlair View Post
          Michael, you usually include the test string so that we can run the tests ourselves but I don't see it this time?

Everybody,

I am interested in a very quiet graphics card. (Running Linux with open source driver)
          It should be silent at least when not in use.

My Radeon R7 360 (purchased based on reviews on this site!) makes fan noise even when not in use :-(

What passively cooled card would you recommend?
          What non-passive but silent cards would you recommend?

Thanks!
          non-passive:

the MSI rx580 (that everyone complains as being loud) was dead silent when not in use, once the fans are adjusted with echo '40' > '/sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1'.

The rx550 is dead silent.

The XFX rx470 was dead silent when not in use.

All using radeonsi, computer less than 1m from my ears. I care about silence.

Comment

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that the Linux driver can get the fan to stop on my AMD R7 360. (I am using modules amdgpu,radeon.)
            Fiddling with pwm1 doesn't seem to alter the sound level below pwm1=35.

What I want from a graphics card:
            1. Silence (I'd rather go with passive cooling to avoid further disappointment)
            2. Open source driver (Well supported, active development)
            3. Open CL
            4. Long life
            5. Performance is last!

The current faviurite seems to be the XFX passive RX460. (But I don't know if it will do Open CL)

Should I consider the Palit NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB KALMX Passive?

Thanks for any advice!

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Everyone that posts bullshit is my bro.
              No get another hobby.

Comment

Based upon Michael's January 2017 review of open vs closed drivers AMD is still the best choice.
                Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Also, based on Nvidia only having preliminary support for OpenCL 2.0 once again AMD seems preferable - even if the GTX 1050 is a faster card than the RX 460.
                RX 460 is cheaper anyway :-)

So, unless I'm wrong about this, my final question is - deos the open source AMDGPU driver provide OpenCL or do I have to use AMDGPU-PRO?

Thanks again :-)

Comment

So, unless I'm wrong about this, my final question is - deos the open source AMDGPU driver provide OpenCL or do I have to use AMDGPU-PRO?
                  That is one of the hardest questions people like Bridgman tries to answer for decade or so Maybe we can say officially yes and no, unofficially no and yes or the opposite

Comment

Umm... Thanks? ;-)

Is there somewhere that will/won't explain this is more/less detail?

p.s. Just ordered the RX 460 !!
                    Last edited by EricBlair; 06 May 2017, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Umm... Thanks? ;-)

Is there somewhere that will/won't explain this is more/less detail?
                      OK, I'm running radeonsi/amdgpu Nitro+ RX580, 8 GB since last night...--- Yahhhhhhhhhh finally! ;-)
                      OSS OpenCL 1.1 works fine with LuxMark 2.0 better than ever (Turks XT/HD 6670 before).
                      #scenes/sala: 2201, Time: 121sec, Samples/sec 2201K, Rays/sec 20482K on 488.5K tris !!!
                      #scenes/room: 975, Time: 124sec, Samples/sec 975K, Rays/sec 8049K on 2016.7K
                      But LuxMark v3.0 sig fault and
                      LuxMark v3.1 throws '2017-05-07 02:56:37 - RUNTIME ERROR: PathOCLBase kernel compilation error',
                      with current libclc/Mesa git.
                      With (little) work you can get AMDGPU-PRO OpenCL libs installed on your system and use it with OSS radeonsi.
                      But this for another night...

Cheers,
                      Dieter

Comment

Working...
                      X