NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti On Linux: Best Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NihilMomentum View Post

Michael, will you do some gaming benchmarks with Ryzen + Nvidia vs Intel + Nvidia?

You've only done it with AMDGPU for now...
    +1. (please include Vulkan with Talos Principle and Dota 2).

Comment

I thought how maybe nVidia likes things divisible by 3 and now this 11 GB of VRAM
      Last edited by dungeon; 09 March 2017, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        How totally unexpected, really.
        The Titan X Pascal wasn't part of this specific test, but that part wasn't (completely) clear: that it would really be faster for games than the much more expensive Titan card.

Comment

Code:
          s/Linux Gaming/Nvidia Gaming/

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            Nvidia is shit. I switched from GeForce GTX 660 Ti to Radeon RX 480 OC and the difference is huge. Not just performance and Open Source drivers which is obvious, but everything is much more smooth. Firefox on Linux and Windows, 2D acceleration on Linux, Witcher 3 running on full HD and uber settings (there was terrible tearing on medium quality and 60 FPS with GeForce). Keep the good work AMD and my next CPU will be Ryzen (even though I'm very happy owner of i7).
            I'm no fan of blobs, but I've not had many complaints using Nvidia cards on Linux. That said, I agree that AMD on Linux is much smoother looking, with far less visible tearing, for both 2D and 3D. Intel is too for that matter. I don't know what NVidia is doing wrong there, but the difference is very noticeable regardless of what vsync settings I use. Up to date distro, latest drivers, etc, nothing seems to make a difference.

The open source AMD driver has come a loooong way, and I'll be looking at AMD whenever I eventually replace my original Titan GTX card.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

I'm no fan of blobs, but I've not had many complaints using Nvidia cards on Linux. That said, I agree that AMD on Linux is much smoother looking, with far less visible tearing, for both 2D and 3D. Intel is too for that matter. I don't know what NVidia is doing wrong there, but the difference is very noticeable regardless of what vsync settings I use. Up to date distro, latest drivers, etc, nothing seems to make a difference.

The open source AMD driver has come a loooong way, and I'll be looking at AMD whenever I eventually replace my original Titan GTX card.
              It may be different than I think, since I still have little experience with Linux in that regard (my card isn't fully supported by current software), but if you get tearing with v-sync enabled, that sounds more like a problem in the graphics stack on top of the driver (even if it occurs with nvidia cards more than with amd cards).

Comment

This has made me so unhappy with my GTX 970

Comment

It's funny, like someone would compare a good and reliable mid class car with a formula 1 and would be surprised that the second one is faster. This 1080ti costs like 3 times of RX480 and if one would compare value for the money, despite very impressive numbers by NVidia and they did also a good job, I still don't see a reason to spend 700$. With AMD it is also better Linux integration what you are paying for, high FPS numbers are very cool, but user experience is also very important. Some time ago it was a pain in the ass, but today, you just buy AMD card, put it into your computer and turn it on. No extra drivers needed, no hickups during Kernel upgrades, it just works. I'm very glad to pay for this comfort also, FPS is not everything.

Comment

Originally posted by scorp View Post
                    It's funny, like someone would compare a good and reliable mid class car with a formula 1 and would be surprised that the second one is faster. This 1080ti costs like 3 times of RX480 and if one would compare value for the money, despite very impressive numbers by NVidia and they did also a good job, I still don't see a reason to spend 700$. With AMD it is also better Linux integration what you are paying for, high FPS numbers are very cool, but user experience is also very important. Some time ago it was a pain in the ass, but today, you just buy AMD card, put it into your computer and turn it on. No extra drivers needed, no hickups during Kernel upgrades, it just works. I'm very glad to pay for this comfort also, FPS is not everything.
                    Buying a better GPU will give you a GPU that last longer, so each individual buyer have to consider their upgrade cycle and if they want to play more demanding games in the future. The performance/pricing of a high-end model has never been better.
                    And in terms of Linux experience, there is nothing comparable to the official Nvidia drivers on Linux.

Comment

If you wait for RX Vega this card will get slashed by ~$100 when that gets ready for release. I do hope the AMD RADV can make some significant improvements soon, it basically needs to DOUBLE fps to keep up.

Also it seems the R9 Fury only performs like a 8.9Tflop card in Tomb Raider?

Comment

Working...
                      X