AMD & NVIDIA: Open vs. Closed-Source Driver Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LazarusIV View Post
    Wow, AMD open-source drivers *destroy* nVidia open-source drivers... Didn't realize it was that bad. In a lot of cases, the AMD open-source driver outperforms the proprietary driver, pretty good deal! Seems like my choice to use Manjaro-stable with my R9 Fury was a good one! Phenomenal performance, especially considering the price I paid for the Fury!
    Same situation here but running Antergos . It actually feels really nice! Big thanks to AMD!

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

i was going to say my 770 performs like the rx480 in these benchmarks and other options are a bit expensive. Upgrading is just not worth it for me yet unless i buy another nvidia card :/
      get a used fury x for 300€. stellar 4k gaming experience

Comment

Yep, great time to soon get a Ryzen and a matching AMD GPU ;-)!

Comment

Wow, that R9 Fury is really killing it with the open source driver. Between this and Ryzen, it's looking like 2017 may be AMD's year to shine.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
            Yep, great time to soon get a Ryzen and a matching AMD GPU ;-)!
            Just wait for reviews. Remember the RDTSC bug, TLB bug, Bulldozer threading bug etc. Last AMD CPU that worked properly was the Phenom II, before that, the original Athlon.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Just wait for reviews. Remember the RDTSC bug, TLB bug, Bulldozer threading bug etc. Last AMD CPU that worked properly was the Phenom II, before that, the original Athlon.
              That's bullshit. The threading bug was a problem with the kernel scheduler, the TLB bug effected literally 0 people, and the RDTSC bug was fixed by a really simple patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Thanks!
                By the way it would be nice to have some AMDGPU Windows vs Linux OpenGL and Vulkan benchmarks with proprietary and open source drivers (I don't care for DirectX vs OpenGL tests, just the OpenGL vs OpenGL and Vulkan vs Vulkan ones). I didn't see this kind of tests with the new AMDGPU PRO driver and it would be very interesting to see one. It would be nice to have HD 7950 + R9 290 + R9 285 + R9 Fury + RX 480 tested. Obviously it would be better to use the AMDGPU kernel driver for the open source tests with GCN 1.0/1.1.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

get a used fury x for 300€. stellar 4k gaming experience
                  dont even have a 4k monitor yet my tv is still 720p but i realised that was undoable when streaming with steamlink, cant read anything.

Comment

Nice test, thanks Michael! There are close to zero reservations left for me to buy another AMD-card for Linux. But I still have time for that, until Star Citizen hits the fan.

Would be nice to see a Windows vs. Linux test on Vulkan/Vulkan for DOOM, but I guess the support is still too unreliable to have a comparable test. :/

Comment

Since there are some talking about the Fury, newegg still has the SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon R9 Fury TRI-X for $260, $240 after rebate, new. I'd personally buy a better binned RX 480 8GB, but the Fury could be your thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X