NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 OpenGL/Vulkan/OpenCL Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post

Yeah, pretty much no reason to buy a RX 460 anymore. To be fair though, it wasn't really that great of a value when it came out either though. The new price on the RX 470 should mean it should handily compete with the 1050 Ti.
    1050 is 75w, RX470 is 120w. If you want a lower watt set up 1050 is great.

Originally posted by atomsymbol

It is the Mesa OpenGL driver.
    RX460 is soundly trounced by the GTX 1050 in every Windows benchmark I've seen.

Our FPS benchmarks look at the GTX 1050 OC and GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X cards versus the RX 460, RX 470, GTX 950, 750 Ti, and 1060 devices. - P5: Overwatch, DOTA2, GTA V, More

Comment

I have to say that what impressed me the most in this benchmark, is that the AMD graphic cards almost stand where they stand on windows benchmarks compared to nvidia's. There is a huge improvement on the last R4XX series.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
        Your move AMD, 1050 is the budget king.
        Would still rather buy AMD's Radeon RX 460 and use the open source driver.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
          It looks like they just disabled it in their firmware. There has also been a microcode update later that currently prevents Windows booting on multiplier-unlocked CPUs without a Z or Q chipset. As far as I know the current Linux microcode does not have this behavior and I also don't believe that it would be justifiable as easy as to Windows users, especially when most people just won't install them when it would break their OC capabilities.
          No wait a sec. This stuff is dealt with by the board firmware, which is NOT the CPU microcode.
          You can place whatever (supported) CPU on a non-OC chipset and in the BIOS you won't have the settings to change the multiplier, wtf is "you cannot boot windows on it"? Can you link something as I'm doing this with recycled components and Windows has yet to fail to boot.

Comment

As far as I remember the microcode update came via Windows 10 update (KBwhatever) and caused bluescreens during the boot process when the CPU multiplier was unlocked and both cores of the G3258 were active. I don't know what the current state of this issue is, I just remember that Asrock released new bioses that reverting the unlocked multiplier. There were people though who managed to make it work again on the old bios revisions with the unlocked multiplier by replacing or renaming a file of the Windows 10 installation.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
              As far as I remember the microcode update came via Windows 10 update (KBwhatever) and caused bluescreens during the boot process when the CPU multiplier was unlocked and both cores of the G3258 were active.
              Thanks, with this info I was able to google my way to forum threads.

Sounds like some bs was written in the microcode of this specific processor or Windows is loading weird things instead of the right microcode. Seriously, it either ran (also overclocked) on a single core or it crashed or it ran on 2 cores NOT overclocked but ONLY on some boards.

That's... obviously some kind of bug. Way too weird to be intended. If they didn't want to let people use that processor, they would simply have it shutdown or something if in the wrong board, or reset multiplier to stock or whatever.

It seems it was eventually fixed though in November by a new Windows release/update/whatever http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...sue-microcode/ (guess what? MS's forums are also total shit so I can only link to the page)
              --I tested new update (build 10586.3) and it OC is working. So, problem solved.
              --Can confirm. My G3258 PC just finished installing Windows 10 TH2 using the new installer from the Media Creation Tool.

So, all is good now.

/raunchy old guy rant mode on
              Only way to run it on windows would have been to manually cripple whatever windows subsystem is loading microcode there and use the BIOS's (or swap the microcode with the blob we have on Linux).
              Too bad that nowaday's "overclockers" weren't able to do this (they renamed some DLLs with obvious names, but it didn't work reliably). When OC was really a thing (various decades ago), overclocking was pretty much hacking, hardware or otherwise. You were doing it against the manufacturer's will.
              /raunchy old guy rant mode off

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

And your mobo cost how much, so that you can overclock that

Maybe Michael should use something like that to simulate real word scenario, as i think nearly no one will buy this and combine it with Xeon for gaming
                My MOBO costs 38€ ~ 45$

And yes, Michael could use this kind of hardware to reduce power consumption by a great factor.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  I always thought H81 didn't have overclocking functionality because Intel disabled it in entry level chipsets.
                  It is a H81 and you can overclock this Pentioum like hell. This anniversary edition is a real present.

Comment

Working...
                  X