NVIDIA 375.10 vs. Linux 4.8 + Mesa 13.1-dev AMD GPU Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I guess complaints either way, just like when I used to run the AMD binary driver always and people complaining I wasn't using open-source, now it's the opposite complaint
    I think the solution there is to simply provide both. They are both relevant and should be tracked - everyone's happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I think the key point here is that you would not have had very low frame rates at 4K in those games (Bioshock, Metro LLR) since the limiting factor was CPU not GPU.
      **COUGH** for AMD but not NVIDIA **COUGH**

Comment

• Originally posted by Xen0sys View Post
        Who's battling who exactly? Sounds pretty out of context.
        If you say so...

Originally posted by Xen0sys View Post
        I can't believe a Radeon R9 Fury still can't beat a GeForce GTX 950 in games like Bioshock Infinite which has been out for years...

Comment

Got a particular image/link? Somewhat recall what you might be thinking of, but what makes it harder is that all PTS code is universal and not specific to any specific test profiles, so like no graphics-specific hacks, plus the fact of the visual presentation / design element not being my strong point.
          You just need an png screenshot really. It doesn't even have to be exactly the same frame, just as long as the same exact elements are visible.

That's it, literally just a side by side screenshot. Any post processing to highlight differences is optional imo. You'll probably be better off just letting the viewer interpret visual fidelty. But on the other hand if you notice a difference yourself you can always open paint and circle it. It doesn;t have to be complicated.

Comment

• Originally posted by sdack View Post
            If you say so...
            That's just me (an AMD fanboy) being mad at AMD driver efficiency on an old game. Certainly no cross-brand fanboy battle taking place as your picture portrayed.

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post

You just need an png screenshot really. It doesn't even have to be exactly the same frame, just as long as the same exact elements are visible.

That's it, literally just a side by side screenshot. Any post processing to highlight differences is optional imo. You'll probably be better off just letting the viewer interpret visual fidelty. But on the other hand if you notice a difference yourself you can always open paint and circle it. It doesn;t have to be complicated.
              Not when I do not - and will not - touch any images/results manually. I already have the automated post-processing support, but alas limited by the game/engine's ability to get the screenshots reliably. Even just using a timer to say trying to get the same elements visible likely wouldn't work since the games that take much longer to load on Mesa than the binary blobs.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Xen0sys View Post
                That's just me (an AMD fanboy) being mad at AMD driver efficiency on an old game.
                Game is old, but port is much less old ... released for Windows in 2013., but wrappered for Linux 2 years later in 2015.

Comment

• Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Game is old, but port is much less old ... released for Windows in 2013., but wrappered for Linux 2 years later in 2015.
                  Well that devalues my argument since it really hasn't been all that long. Always thought it was Linux-ready on release or shortly thereafter. I'd give AMD the benefit of the doubt and another 2 years to fix the drivers up nicely before getting all pissy again. At least for B:I.

Comment

• From VP, Feral, Aspyr, etc... do not expect linux-ready on release, as those are porters but not game developers actually

Usually you get linux-ready on day one when game is straight from developers, blah, blah...

Comment

Not when I do not - and will not - touch any images/results manually. I already have the automated post-processing support, but alas limited by the game/engine's ability to get the screenshots reliably. Even just using a timer to say trying to get the same elements visible likely wouldn't work since the games that take much longer to load on Mesa than the binary blobs.
                      And as long as you not willing it won't happen. As of the status quo, the only thing you've been doing is meaningless fps measurements usually way higher than anyone would play at and with no indication of visual quality. So in the real world gamers do in fact tweak their games to reach close to refresh. and they do in fact care very much about visual quality. But in your world the only thing that matters is whether or not you can reproduce completely pointless numbers.

Nvidia's driver -DOES- cheat on visual fidelity. Absolutely yes. But your numbers don't show that fact. Your numbers show hundreds of FPS but not visual quality or user experience at all. Which is -the- reason why they don't mean anything. What is the point in reproducing numbers that don't represent anyones usage?

Comment

Working...
                      X