No announcement yet.

Radeon RX 470 Linux Tests Are Forthcoming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For European pricing, use some comparing site.

4GB RX480 is at 239 € (~ 261 $)
    8GB RX480 is at 257 € (~ 281 $)

But these not so high prices are mostly due to the british having comitted suicidebafter Brexit.

And as usual, Switzerland not being part of EU has higher import tax, but lower VAT giving to different prices.
    8GB RX480 is at 268 CHF (~ 275 $)
    4GB RX480 is at 238 CHF (~ 244 $)

(As another non EU country, Norway probably follows the same trend. But i don't have sources)

So depending on where you shop, it's not entirely impossible to find reasonnable prices.

Comment

I'd be more interested in RX 460 tests, as that's the card(s) I'm likely going to get whenever I find one in range.

Comment

I wonder if there will be a passive cooled RX460.
        I hoped that phoronix would get RX470 and RX460 from AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
          I wonder if there will be a passive cooled RX460.
          I hoped that phoronix would get RX470 and RX460 from AMD.
          I don't think so unless it has an absolutely massive cooler. It is still a 75 watt part even at 14nm.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
            I don't think so unless it has an absolutely massive cooler. It is still a 75 watt part even at 14nm.
            Well some might cripple clocks in half and make it passive, so theoretically it is possibile.

That is what will be in laptops or such, make P11 probably sub 40W device so kill half perf and that is about it
            Last edited by dungeon; 04 August 2016, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              Well some might cripple clocks in half and make it passive, so theoretically it is possibile.

That is what will be in laptops or such, make P11 probably sub 40W device so kill half perf and that is about it
              Yeah, but a RX460 with half clocks or so is not a true RX460 anymore.

EDIT: although it would probably be MUCH better than whatever lower-end card they can come up with.
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 05 August 2016, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Michael

From benchmarks the RX 470 is pretty boring, more or less the same as the RX 480 4 GB. It would be more interesting to know if the firmware could be crossflashed - then you could "emulate" it with the faster one or unlock cores... Nvidia chips are hardened against that with the newer GM2 or GP chips but older ones are still sold as fake cards as they run the the same driver.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Yeah, but a RX460 with half clocks or so is not a true RX460 anymore.
                  Why not, they might call it RX 460 SE Passive

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Why not, they might call it RX 460 SE Passive
                    deal.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post

Yes, b/c it is mostly sold out.
                      At least, AFAIK, the US prices remained quite stable while in stock. In Europe, they've been above recommendation everywhere. The prices of AIB partners designs have been above that even more, obviously.

RX Series prices are ridiculous, at least in Europe. The revolution marketing campaign is a joke.

BTT: Test isn't really interesting. It is easy to deduce the performance based on how the 480 performs. I wouldn't buy two cards with the same chip (but one being salvage) just for testing. I'd rather see a RX 460 tested, but the release date is still unclear.

Can't wait for Vega, though...
                      I disagree, gamers must stop low end GPUs. The lowest GPU that we should think to buy must be an RX470 -2048shaders -5TFlops -4GB at 150bucks. Gamers must also stop expensive beyond 300bucks GPUs. An RX490 -10TFlops must be at 300bucks. In the old days there was two models like: 120 and 320shaders, 320 and 800, like 40% and 100%, there was also a small one that we wanted to stop, same now.
                      Last edited by artivision; 05 August 2016, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X