NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Offers Great Performance On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

RadeonSI was used since that's what most people prefer... In past NV reviews when I tested with the blob, I get complaints that I should have used the open-source driver... Given that in most benchmarks the RadeonSI vs. AMDGPU-PRO performance is close, I went with the open-source driver to get the least amount of complaints/bitching.
    The big problem at the moment is Vulkan, which is only supported by the PRO driver. And you can't get a feel for future performance if you don't test it.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000
      Let me give you some inside information. Nvidia will crush the RX 480 from AMD this year. 1060 will outsell 480 5:1
      As someone who's purchased many 1080s, and 480s - and with the assumption that the stockpile was large - both cards sold out and only have ~1 time a month shipments. But the 1080s had a far more limited stock pile... so I guess that means alot of people already bought 480s. 5:1 is a pretty lol ratio even for crushing.

Btw - Intel compiles faster and has more memory bandwidth than AMD's offerings but when you factor in OpenCL on the CPU's Integrated GPU - well, Intel gets their ass handed to them there. Generally I make my desktops intel but AMD has promise in niche environments. See this - a real world library for common operations in signal processing via APU/GPU: http://arrayfire.com/arrayfire-bench...aswell-part-1/ - both were using the "GPU" part of the processor. Not to mention on Intel they never supported OpenCL on the APU first rate under Linux.
      Last edited by nevion; 20 July 2016, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

I earned a 960 GTX for that. Please do not judge me.
        I'll judge you a weak negotiator!
        Surely you should've held out for the 1060 instead

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

RadeonSI was used since that's what most people prefer... In past NV reviews when I tested with the blob, I get complaints that I should have used the open-source driver... Given that in most benchmarks the RadeonSI vs. AMDGPU-PRO performance is close, I went with the open-source driver to get the least amount of complaints/bitching.
          Most people will be using the AMDGPU-PRO driver because it is far easier to find and install at the moment until Linux 4.7 starts shipping. Really, it would just be nice to have compared apples to apples, proprietary to proprietary.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
            Most people will be using the AMDGPU-PRO driver because it is far easier to find and install at the moment until Linux 4.7 starts shipping. Really, it would just be nice to have compared apples to apples, proprietary to proprietary.
            Well he can't do that, as there are HD 7950 and R7 370 cards in these tests... those are GCN 1.0 which does not work with amdgpu-pro.

But for GCN 1.1+ it makes more sense to benchmark against amdgpu-pro... and probably on some distro like Lubuntu, that is more down to the metal then Unity, to avoid posible compositor downsides so preferably with composition turned off if that is enabled in Lubuntu, etc...
            Last edited by dungeon; 20 July 2016, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Well he can't do that, as there are HD 7950 and R7 370 cards in these tests... those are GCN 1.0 which does not work with amdgpu-pro.
              I have no problem with those being tested with the best drivers available for their platform. If that is the open source drivers, so be it.

Comment

Well propertiary is the best (in case user don't want or don't have time to spend a life on opensource driver bugzilla ) , if i have GCN 1.0 card and while waiting for amdgpu-pro i would stick to Debian 8 as Catalyst works there... i would probably also backport some of the newer profiles from newer drivers and that would be it

I use (or trying to use) both opensource and blob drivers, 2 days ago (and that after several months of no use) i tried opensource and found various new bugs and regressions again... like vdpau/gl buggy in one version 11.2 and not in another 12, games like Talos Principle and Serious Sam 3 lock up GPU, switching from llvm 3.8 to 3.9 you get GL 4.3 but with switching i also found some of old GL1 games now run at half or even third of speed, etc... if i stayed with it longer i would found more issues
                Last edited by dungeon; 20 July 2016, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

But for GCN 1.1+ it makes more sense to benchmark against amdgpu-pro... and probably on some distro like Lubuntu, that is more down to the metal then Unity, to avoid posible compositor downsides so preferably with composition turned off if that is enabled in Lubuntu, etc...
                  In Unity fullscreen 3D applications bypass the compositor. It should make no difference.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                    In Unity fullscreen 3D applications bypass the compositor. It should make no difference.
                    I am not sure in that, one thing is theory and another is practice... recently i readed about some xfce compositor bug on clear linux which takes down perf on intel is seems.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Linux-Weekly-1

Better disable it (if possibile of course) to be sure The best Lubuntu sounds to me (if that has composition disabled by default, i dunno just guessing maybe they have it now too ), if not plain openbox, if not xinit, etc...
                    Last edited by dungeon; 20 July 2016, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bokal View Post

And nouveau too. Michael doesn't really need to sleep.
                      Well, nouveau is pretty much a known quantity at this point (nice toy because it doesn't do reclocking). The difference between AMD's open and closed driver is not. SO yes, people will ask for that, regardless of Michael's schedule.

Comment

Working...
                      X