No announcement yet.

It Looks Like AMD Will Support FreeSync With Their New Linux Display Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope freesync 2.0 will require the use of a psr-like feature. This is something that, I believe, edp has supported for awhile.
    This doesn't even address new screen technologies like oled which can perform partial screen updates. Maybe the display side controller doesn't expose that feature?

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
      two years after windows, amd support for linux sucks
      their competitor does not support linux at all

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
        Would love to see that, too. Intel IGP with adaptive sync + AMD dGPU with PRIME would be a dream configuration.
        No, it wouldn't. Intel doesn't care about prime. Try playing a game with intel dri3 using prime. It's completely unplayable. Intel knows that cross device synchronization is missing in their driver, they just don't do anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          their competitor does not support linux at all

??? nvidia have the only good driver for unix/linux, amd have two drivers and two do not work like windows one. i can't understand why ppl thinks amd is good with linux. nothing works like it should

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

??? nvidia have the only good driver for unix/linux, amd have two drivers and two do not work like windows one. i can't understand why ppl thinks amd is good with linux. nothing works like it should
            We the humans easily resign to mediocrity, it's part of our failed essence. If we were like the fictional vulkans...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

We the humans easily resign to mediocrity, it's part of our failed essence. If we were like the fictional vulkans...
              The trekkies already got me with this one..... It's not Vulkan, It's Vulcan!

Just kidding. Don't let nvidia fanboys get under your skin, most of them lack basic fundamental common sense.

Comment

Is there a way to check if your panel supports freesync?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                  If the price tag was $100 more than a similar monitor than you probably have it. :-P

No seriously, it seems to be a big deal. You should have a sticker or something. It might also have an option to turn on and off in the OSD.

Here's an AMD link with some information. Not sure how up to date it is.
                  This document provides instructions on how to enable AMD FreeSync using AMD Radeon Software.

Comment

Allot of panels got freesync as a firmware update. I do wonder if Nvidia will eventually support freesync, there is no legal reason not too and it would sure fck over AMD users who put up with terrible driver support under Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

You can refer to this forum post for an updated list of all FreeSync supporting monitors.

FreeSync support is going to become pretty standard in new monitors by the end of this year. I believe there are HDMI FreeSync monitors coming out in the next few months also.

Comment

Working...
                      X