AMD Launches Antigua (Tonga) Powered Radeon R9 380X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Tonga doesn't have any hardware decoding at all. That's done by UVD, which is a separate hardware block that can be swapped in/out with whatever GPU's AMD wants to ship it with.
    I think Kano is complain fiesta man ... before Tonga he complained on HEVC, ones AMD got it he starts complain why it is just 8bit why not 10bit, even if next year we got 10bit, he will complain on 12bit and so on...

I guess he wants to ensure full compatibility with any 4K BDs or something even before those are there... probably something after Volta is for him

"Pascal will be utter shit, Volta is better" logic

edit: Who cares about that now, i am sure most people don't care about those decode caps now until standard is clear there... most people should buy cheapest APU with those caps anyway for HTPC
    Last edited by dungeon; 19 November 2015, 07:07 PM.

Comment

R9 380X will most commonly have 4GB of GDDR5 video memory and a GPU clock speed around 1040MHz. There are 2048 shader units, 128 texture units, and 32 ROPs.
      Actually sounds quite okay for high-end of mid-range (or should I call it lower end of high-end?). Now it also needs right price and kernel 4.5

Comment

@dungeon

Incorrect, all i want is to decode CURRENT DVB-S2 4k HEVC Main 10 channels with Linux. Right now you need lots of CPU power - but that's what YOU prefer not me.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          Tonga doesn't have any hardware decoding at all. That's done by UVD, which is a separate hardware block
          And somehow, all ATI & AMD GPUs and APUs since ~ R600 ages (if not earlier) were coming with UVD hardware built in, unless I've missed something. Not sure where you've got this idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            @dungeon

Incorrect, all i want is to decode CURRENT DVB-S2 4k HEVC Main 10 channels with Linux. Right now you need lots of CPU power - but that's what YOU prefer not me.
            I know what you want (we spoke about that once) that is something which will not be potentionaly start to be widely available even in US until maybe end of the next year.

And with crossed fingers if everything goes fine, right in Volta time it will be standard

And really why you comment on this, this is gaming card... no one wants to buy gaming cards to watch TV
            Last edited by dungeon; 19 November 2015, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Of course you throw away your gfx card every year - nice, that's what AMD/Nvidia wants.

Comment

GPU: Radeon_7790 @2TFlops GCN1.1 =130$
                CPU: Unlocked 8+_issue Pentium 4+Ghz =60$
                BOARD: Non_Z Overclocking =50$

Intel, AMD, Nvidia, sorry that i am not stupid.

Comment

Of course you throw away your gfx card every year - nice, that's what AMD/Nvidia wants.
                  Well you should buy cheapest APU with decode capabailities, ones that happens... it is probably cheapest block in a chip, dunno if it worth $20 in whole

I will not throw $250 on gaming card, just because UVD has non standard caps. That Sempron 2650 $30 APU has same UVD block as $400+ R9 390X, you don't need to throw away money on gaimng card to get same decode caps.
                  Last edited by dungeon; 19 November 2015, 07:57 PM.

Comment

I don't buy anything. I don't own an APU, but i got used AMD hardware recently with RS780, and guess what: it showed HEVC support with vdpauinfo - you get the same error with any AMD gfx card with DX10 i guess - my HD 4550 had the same issue.

Comment

On other hand, you have to live with the fact new ICs are going to be faster, better and consuming less power while being able to do more. So if you would stick waiting for perfect solution, you can die from age without buying anything at all. So from practical standpoint, one have to eventually settle with compromises and buy some "imperfect" thing. Being damn sure next year you will see something better anyway. You don't expect engineering teams to do absolutely nothing for year, right? So they would eventually make something better and would go sell it for sure. And your hardware's value would go down. Quite rapidly. That's how it works.

Say, 10-15 years ago quad core computer would cost you quite a bit. These day $15 crap from china factory would fit credit card size, consume barely 5 watts of power and beat it in terms of performance, coming with faster memory and higher clocks. It could be somewhat sad, but you can't stop progress. So either you have to change hardwae yearly to get ALL featues brand-new, and it would cost a lot. Or you have to settle with something "good enough" and take lower pace. But you have to face the fact 10 years later your hardware could look fairly outdated and incapable, yet power hungry and imperfect.

Comment

Working...
                      X