AMD Launches Antigua (Tonga) Powered Radeon R9 380X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post
    Michael, I would personally rather not see you waste a bunch of time/money on rebadged cards. Of course, if people are interested enough in a rebadged product to fund a full review, go for it.
    I agree with this, I would save the money for more interesting releases/cards.

Comment

Why do people keep bitching at "renamed" cards? Is not like companies will waste time and money to release a new {GPU, CPU} architecture every year or two... Plus, there was only one Tonga card, which I guess one could consider "experimental", plus the "renamed" cards always have improvements. And it's not like nVidia doesn't also sell "renamed" cards.

Comment

Especially since this isn't a rename, there never was a 285X to be renamed to 380X, like the 285 to 380 rename.
        It's Tonga Pro (1792 Shader/32 ROP/112 TMU for the 285 and 380) vs Tonga XT (2048 Shader/32 ROP/128 TMU for the 380X)

Comment

To be fair I don' t think is a renamed card, all the gpu as cpu, are renamed, like it or not, they just improve a few things and tune it to get better performane making a new product, this also applies to nvidia cards that they just improve their chips in a good way making all the maxell cards the 750 the first one, all the 900 are just a renamed of the 750.
          Also I agree is not neccesary to buy a new card without different he already have a tonga 285, it won't be much difference better save for others card release in a future the next year. If improve the performance on drivers or games with the 285 of course it will do the same on the same kind of card 380x.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Renaming hardware is so much FUN!
            Spreading FUD is so much FUN too!

Comment

Tonga is old, it does not have HEVC Main 10 decode. But I am not happy with Intel or Nvidia as well. I want at least Kaby Lake and Pascal...

Comment

Tonga is old, it does not have HEVC Main 10 decode. But I am not happy with Intel or Nvidia as well. I want at least Kaby Lake and Pascal...
                Hmmm, then magic question here is: what hardware is not old per you? Unreleased is not old or something

And what "at least" mean - that Volta is newer, but unreleased Pascal is already old
                Last edited by dungeon; 19 November 2015, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Save the money for Zen and whatever their next GPUs are

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                    Save the money for Zen and whatever their next GPUs are
                    Yeah, but Zen is year away anyway And once it is there it will be probably pricey, so you won't save anything just would loose one year of your (no/gaming) life
                    Last edited by dungeon; 19 November 2015, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Tonga doesn't have any hardware decoding at all. That's done by UVD, which is a separate hardware block that can be swapped in/out with whatever GPU's AMD wants to ship it with.

Comment

Working...
                      X