Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Graphics Cards On Open-Source Linux Drivers With The Best Value + Power Efficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ares Drake
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

If you can send me a bash script that automates it all, I can wrap it into a test script.
    Thank you for your generous offer! I will gladly provide a bash script. However some example picture files would need to be included as well. Would that be a problem? Are there any guidelines on the output of said bash script?
    Last but not least, due to baby time I will only be able to provide first test samples well into February 2016.

Best,
    AD

Leave a comment:

• Khudsa
    replied
    Originally posted by Kamerat View Post
    Maybe the cards BIOS got corrupted. You can always try to reflash it.
    Thanks for the tip. But, how I can reflash the gpu firmware if I can't see nothing from boot (even the motherboard bios) and the computer hangs? Even to shutdown I have to keep down the power button.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by SBeaver View Post
    The power stuff is not that interesting when you know Maxwell is the best in terms of both price and power. The latest ATI nano is supposed to be efficient too but is in a whole other price range, and draws a lot of power also (225+ watts I think it was)
    The nano looks great. It stays, iirc, really, really close to the 170W mark, but can zoom up to over 400W for brief periods (I believe this is very much in line with both nvidia, and the wider cpu community with the idea of power budget, and allowing turbo for brief periods as long as temp stays low, though with cpus they have far less room for maximum power unless you're looking at some of the server chips like power 8).
    What I'm curious about with the nano is if it will be even more efficient than the fury x when overclocked (the memory may be fixed, but the core can be adjusted, I believe).

Leave a comment:

• Kamerat
    replied
    Originally posted by Khudsa View Post
    This article has arrived for me just in time. The last week my radeon 6970 stopped working, with black screen (from boot, I can't see even the bios boot) and loud fans. And now you post this interesting article. The 370 is a very interesting card to replace my defunct one on my old computer, meanwhile I wait to renew it the next year without stopping playing .

Thanks Michael.
    Maybe the cards BIOS got corrupted. You can always try to reflash it.

Leave a comment:

• imirkin
    replied

It's been mentioned in by now dozens of articles that the Maxwell GTX 900 support is non existent right now until the firmware gets published.
    Actually that's only one of the stumbling blocks (albeit a big one). I suspect it'll be quite a while before there's semi-decent support for the Maxwell2 chips. Even Maxwell1 is still crappily supported (lots of render fail, no tessellation, no reclocking of any sort). Maxwell2 also introduces tons of new features for the first time since Fermi, so I wouldn't be immensely surprised if we had to do a lot of RE for it as well.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Ares Drake View Post
    Great testing, thank you. Is there a way to benchmark the RAW photo editor darktable which uses opencl a lot with phoronix suite? would be great to include those results, as i use my hd7970 for work, not gaming
    If you can send me a bash script that automates it all, I can wrap it into a test script.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by pete910 View Post

Tbh I had a skim read and looked at the graphs, was quite surprised how the 290 did considering

However what your saying is Nvidia's 1000 ish dollar flag ship ain't worth squat on the oss drivers

I thought they had made progress regards the maxwell based GPU's. Guess not

It's been mentioned in by now dozens of articles that the Maxwell GTX 900 support is non existent right now until the firmware gets published.

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    Originally posted by pete910 View Post

Tbh I had a skim read and looked at the graphs, was quite surprised how the 290 did considering

However what your saying is Nvidia's 1000 ish dollar flag ship ain't worth squat on the oss drivers

It should be well known that:
    Proprietary: Nvidia > AMD
    Open Source: AMD > Nvidia

Leave a comment:

• pete910
    replied

Read the article... No hardware acceleration for the 900 / new Maxwell series....

Leave a comment:

• Ares Drake
    replied
    Great testing, thank you. Is there a way to benchmark the RAW photo editor darktable which uses opencl a lot with phoronix suite? would be great to include those results, as i use my hd7970 for work, not gaming

Leave a comment:

Working...
X