Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon HD4870 & Catalyst 8.6 => system freeze

Hello all!

I have a serious problem here with my new ATi Radeon HD4870. When I install the new Catalyst 8.6 driver and run "aticonfig ?initial" my computer freezes/locks up when I startx. The screen goes all black, sometimes even the lights of my keyboard go out and I have to push the reset button to fire up my box again. This is both under Arch Linux and Zenwalk.

I have noticed that the Phoronix article about the ATi Radeon HD4870 said that the card was working "out of the box" on Ubuntu with the Catalyst 8.6 driver. Therefore I'd like to know what you did to get the card working. Any changes to the xorg.conf? I can't try it out by myself because Ubuntu doesn't recognize my SATA HD.

Do you use Xserver 1.4 or 1.5? fglrx does only work with hardy as it uses 1.4.

Comment

Its xorg-server 1.4.0.90 (Zenwalk at least).

Comment

Originally posted by Janusz11 View Post
        Its xorg-server 1.4.0.90 (Zenwalk at least).
        That is a pre-release of X Server 1.5, which isn't quite yet supported by the fglrx driver.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Doh!

Thanks Michael. Do you have any information if the xserver will be supported soon then (read next driver release)?

Comment

Janusz11, How much RAM do you have?

Comment

Chris, my system specs are as follows:

* MoBo: GA-EP45-DS4
              * CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8400
              * RAM: Mushkin 4GB DDR2
              * Graphics: PowerColor ATi HD4870
              * HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA II 300

Comment

Maybe remove 2 GB for testing.

Comment

You most likely have MTRR problems. I have a P45 chipset and I experienced the same thing with 4GB+ of RAM. You can remove 1 stick of RAM to verify that this is the issue. It is the BIOS fault, not ATI. Read through this thread: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10915 for information on manually setting up your /proc/mtrr (The BIOS reports false values).

Comment

Hey Chris, thanks alot! I didn't notice that thread, so sorry for opening up another one on this issue.

I'll give it a try tonight. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                    X