A Five Year Old NVIDIA GPU Can Still Beat Broadwell HD Graphics 5500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    If only I had more laptops or an unlimited budget....
    OK, once you get HD6000 or Iris 6100 just test OpenArena 0.8.8, and i guess people will easely figured out how things are faster there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      @Michael

Why was 304.125 used and not 340.76 for the Nvidia FX 880M?
      Had just done sudo apt-get install nvidia-current for the common Ubuntu Linux setup given that the graphics are old so don't necessarily need the latest drivers.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Miblo View Post
        How about a four year old AMD Radeon HD 6670 driven by mesa etc? This is what I've played stuff like Borderlands 2 on at a measly ~24fps (1280?1024 and optimised settings) and I'd like to know how the Intel HD 5500 compares to that. Essentially, if this laptop with an i5-5200U and 4GB DDR3 may handle BL2 as "well" (ideally much better, obviously) than my elderly AMD Athlon64 3700+ with 2GB DDR and AMD Radeon HD 6670, then I'll probably buy one. Else I'll wait for their Broadwell systems with discrete GPU.
        If Radeon HD 6670 is GDDR5 variant it will not be beaten by Intel HD 5500, but it might if HD 6670 is DDR3.

But there you also have single core Athlon64 3700+, even one core of low power and slower quad core Kabini APU like Athlon 5150 will beat that - i imagine you have bunch of CPU bottlenecks with that one, so it is likely that not your GPU is quilty for low performance .
        Last edited by dungeon; 03 February 2015, 10:09 PM.

Comment

@Michael

That's incorrect. The card is DX 10.1 and not DX 9 (304 series) and with 310+ multithreaded rendering was introduced and would improve speed in all games that support this like all Source engine games. Look at your own test:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            If Radeon HD 6670 is GDDR5 variant it will not be beaten by Intel HD 5500, but it might if HD 6670 is DDR3.

But there you also have single core Athlon64 3700+, even one core of low power and slower quad core Kabini APU like Athlon 5150 will beat that - i imagine you have bunch of CPU bottlenecks with that one, so it is likely that not your GPU is quilty for low performance .
            Cheers, dungeon. Yeah, I thought it'd be worth mentioning the other hardware. The GPU was hands down the best bit of the whole system. According to my CCL order history it was the "XFX Radeon HD 6670 Graphics Card 2GB DDR3". Also, notebookcheck reckons that "the HD 5500 outperforms the previous HD Graphics 4400 by 20 - 25 percent" and their gaming check thing has the 4400 handling Borderlands 2 pretty comparably to my system, so it's all looking kind of promising for this laptop I've got my eye on. As long as it plays BL2 ? which I'm halfway through playing co-op, hence my focus on having that game working ? it's a done deal. I can wait to upgrade my desktop to play Metro and the like. Maybe I'll give it a week or two to see what Michael makes of it all.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
              And the 240M was presented June 2009 so it's beating a 5.5 year old lower midrange chip at higher settings

not sure if serious

Comment

To get real max Intel GPU performance I would check it for a non-ultrabook CPU. In the Ivy Bridge series difference between U and M was sometimes big

Comment

Correct TDP for I7 5600U

I could be wrong but the I7 5600U has a 15W TDP, not 7.5 has always reported by the site: http://ark.intel.com/products/85215/...up-to-3_20-GHz

Am I missing something or you have to update your articles :-)

Comment

Good enough

My desktop uses is a Intel Core i7 4770K and I run with the integrated Intel graphics without any dedicated graphics card.

This may not be suitable for a hardcore gamer, but I have to say, as an occasional gamer this works great.

I run Xonotic, War?0w, and Tesseract at 1920x1200 and it works great.

Comment

Even old Nvidia GPUs hold up great. A new low-end GPU like 830M will offere 3-4x performance on top of that. But most important of all, nothing can beat a GPU with dedicated memory to avoid stuttering issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X