Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Btw. why don't you get Intel?
    Mainly, because either would be plenty powerful enough for my needs, so I can spend my money with whichever company I prefer and not reward the bullying behavior of Intel. Add to that the fact that I really want to encourage AMD in their efforts to open the specs of their GPUs, and I think it's important for Intel to have competition, and the idle power consumption of AMD CPUs is lower than that of the Intel ones, so for me it makes sense to reward the underdog and buy AMD.
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Also ECC RAMs is only for servers not for desktop system.
    ECC Registered RAM is for servers, it has buffers and error correction and is very expensive.
    ECC RAM (Unbuffered) has error correction but no registers and is suitable for workstations and PCs that will be left on a lot.
    Standard RAM (Non ECC) has neither error correction or registers and is suitable home PCs and gaming rigs.

In all cases the memory controller has to support the type of RAM you wish to use, as far as I know the integrated memory controller in AMDs Non Opteron 64bit CPUs, support ECC and standard RAM (NOT Registered) and there shouldn't be any real speed difference between the 2 as, although each read is an extra 2 bits wide, you're still doing the same number of reads per second, and unlike with Registered / buffered RAM, the memory is read directly so there shouldn't be any difference in latency either, though there will be a price difference.

I tend to leave my PC on all the time as it's always doing something, so my goals are reliability and low power consumption then speed.

Comment

Originally posted by stunted View Post
      Mmm, I knew it wasn't great but didn't realize it was that bad, maybe I'll see if I can find an x800 instead.
      I would advise an X800. The other's almost like the Uwe Boll of video cards (Yes, they're THAT bad...). ATI produced a handful of real stinkers during the R300/R400 era- the X1050, X300, and the Xpress200M being in that mix.

Comment

please! for gods sake get a NV card, youll wont be in this forums praying every month anymore.

sorry my *crappy* english.

Comment

Originally posted by enzobelmont View Post
          please! for gods sake get a NV card, youll wont be in this forums praying every month anymore.

sorry my *crappy* english.
          This depends on whether you need the 3D support now or in about 6-12 months from now as AMD releases the needed information to make a useful Open Sourced driver...or finally gets most of the kinks worked out on fglrx.

Their silicon, with the notable exceptions we're now discussing (The string of excessively and amazingly craptacular IGP/Laptop/Value offerings during the R300 and R400 eras that they should seriously apologize to every PC owner they inflicted them on..), tends to actually be better, potentially faster, stuff. But their drivers, even in Windows, leave a lot to be desired in the stability and performance arenas. NVidia produces consistent results but hasn't done anything for us in the way of opening up, whereas, AMD has.

Six of one, half dozen of another, really.

It's why I've bought NVidia stuff to get things done now. It's why I've kept my R300, R400, and R500 testing parts in hand instead of dust binning them. It's why I'm waiting on the fence to see if AMD gets it's act together here (whatever form that ends up taking...) and/or if NVidia gets a clue on the Open Source front. No G80's bought. No R600's bought.
          Last edited by Svartalf; 16 January 2008, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            This depends on whether you need the 3D support now or in about 6-12 months from now as AMD releases the needed information to make a useful Open Sourced driver...
            And also what level of 3D you require. My
            ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800 Pro]
            and
            ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R300 [Radeon 9500 Pro]
            Both have more than enough grunt for 3D desktop stuff (although as my dual head display is 2560 x 1024 I don't / can't actually run any wizzbang effects on my PC) and produce playable frame rates in Nexuiz, my
            ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO]
            and
            ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200]
            can do most 3D desktop stuff but not Nexuiz.

The Open drivers have a long way to go before they catch the windows or fglx driver in terms of frame rate, but I'm not a big gamer and for the moment I'm happy to switch to a closed driver or OS for a quick frag session.

One of the other things I'm really hoping will happen as a result of AMD opening the specs of their GPUs is assisted video compression and decompression.

Comment

I personally like ATI have never steered me wrong and they have way better customer support but it all really depends on what you like and perfer

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt-Klink View Post
                I personally like ATI have never steered me wrong and they have way better customer support but it all really depends on what you like and perfer
                For Linux support? My goodness, where the hell have you been...

Comment

C'mon put down the crack pipe, bud. ATI does not quite have its crap together yet.

Comment

Perhaps you've gotten lucky with the Windows side of things, but they've never QUITE had it all together with the Linux side of things.

Bugs going unfixed for over a year or more- problems that should have been fixed ASAP as they impair the functionality of the GPU on the machine they're using (For example, Hypermemory/Sideport support on Xpress200M and similar parts- if you've got dedicated RAM for the GPU, you can at least see the peak speed of the crippled things, such as it is. Using UMA, the performance goes into the toilet even moreso than with the dedicated only or UMA/Dedicated configuration. The drivers haven't been able to support that dedicated RAM for two and a half years running now, whereas before that they DID have it handled.). Even now, they have serious problems with the drivers unless you're talking a PCI-E R600 based part.

They're getting better, yes. Are they there yet to merit your statement? No. I'm tickled pink that they're taking the time to interact with us, give us technical data to help us help them. It's why they've still got the time of day from me. However, if you're needing real 3D performance on Linux now, you're better served with an NVidia part for the time being.

Comment

3850 is a nice card i got really not many issues, D-sub screens are abit of pain

ati have kicked up their speed abit on linux side of their driver, but no doubt, the nvidia driver is pretty neat
                      Last edited by Ole-Martin Broz; 17 January 2008, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X