• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Holy shit

TDP: 165W
    Used power: 284W

That is a new low even for Nvidia. TDP is supposed to be the maximum power usage dammit.
    This has to be a joke post, surely. Maxwell is a massive breakthrough in power efficiency and on top of that crushes the competition while using far less transistors and costing less.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      TDP has never been maximum power usage.
      It was, until Intel and Nvidia marketing depts unilaterally redefined it. "Thermal Design Power". If the heatsink-fan is designed for 165W like the number says, the gpu will burn up using 284W upon long periods.

Previously they only overshot by ~30%. This is over 70% more, which makes it absolutely horrible lying to customers.

@scottishduck

I'm not claiming Maxwell is bad. I'm claiming Nvidia's marketing dept is bad. If they were being truthful, they'd have "TDP: 284W, average gaming consumption: 165W".

Comment

Keep us up to date on the numbers of 970s and 980s being burned up.

I'm sure the AIB partners are going to be astonished at all these returns... and maybe even go bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          It was, until Intel and Nvidia marketing depts unilaterally redefined it. "Thermal Design Power". If the heatsink-fan is designed for 165W like the number says, the gpu will burn up using 284W upon long periods.

Previously they only overshot by ~30%. This is over 70% more, which makes it absolutely horrible lying to customers.

@scottishduck

I'm not claiming Maxwell is bad. I'm claiming Nvidia's marketing dept is bad. If they were being truthful, they'd have "TDP: 284W, average gaming consumption: 165W".
          Heh i would say they use too good cooler. If cooler would have been designed for 165W tdp, the card clocks would have been throttled way down before temps goes too high. I Don't really know how tomshardware tortured the card and how is temperatures kept cool enough, but I really doubt that you can get that much power of it in closed case and default fan profile without temperatures sky rocketing.

Comment

Good reviews everywhere... none of them trying to use open-source drivers .

Comment

Working...
            X