• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daktyl198
    replied
    Originally posted by A Laggy Grunt View Post
    40-60Hz?

I think G-sync was meant to go with 120-144Hz monitors, which help with mouse lag.
    In the video, the guy mentions that the spec allows for variance from 2-240hz, and the monitor picks a slice out of that and reports it to the GPU as what it supports (for example, 40-60hz). The monitor in the demo is an already released monitor with a special firmware upgrade, so that 20hz variable is probably the best it could do.

Leave a comment:

• A Laggy Grunt
    replied
    40-60Hz?

I think G-sync was meant to go with 120-144Hz monitors, which help with mouse lag.

Leave a comment:

• Kraut
    replied
    Originally posted by Calinou View Post
    Will it work in windowed/?fake fullscreen? mode in games? I'm sadly not sure at all.

Do games or layers like SDL need specific code to support this?
    I think this will be implemented so that applications don't even have to know its there. It's basically just adaptive vsync except that the PC/GPU triggers the monitor redraw start.

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    "No specialized hardware" Means "No hardware who's sole purpose is to make this work." DisplayPort 1.2a capable monitors and cards would have found their way out into customers hands eventually.
    I read somewhere that AMD will support it on all GCN 1.0 and higher GPUs. On the monitor side you need new hardware of course.
    I wonder if this will help with Oculus, too.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by rabcor View Post
    Really dude? That's a contradiction right there, you need no specialized hardware except *cough* a FreeSync capable monitor with DisplayPort 1.2a or newer + a card with the same specs (and I assume an AMD card unless Nvidia decide they want to support it too)
    "No specialized hardware" Means "No hardware who's sole purpose is to make this work." DisplayPort 1.2a capable monitors and cards would have found their way out into customers hands eventually.

Leave a comment:

• rabcor
    replied
    Unlike NVIDIA's G-Sync, no specialized hardware is required to support FreeSync. This week at Computex, AMD was showing off the first FreeSync capable monitor
    Really dude? That's a contradiction right there, you need no specialized hardware except *cough* a FreeSync capable monitor with DisplayPort 1.2a or newer + a card with the same specs (and I assume an AMD card unless Nvidia decide they want to support it too)

Standalone monitors as is typically do not support this technology meaning you DO need specialized hardware. You just don't need that expensive GSync chip. I hope Nvidia responds to this by supporting freesync as well.

But judging by the differences that GSync is a much more complicated implementation of this, I am sure there are benefits it has that freesync does not (not that I care, I prefer freesync because it's hardly any extra price for me to get that)
    Last edited by rabcor; 06 June 2014, 02:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Calinou
    replied
    Will it work in windowed/?fake fullscreen? mode in games? I'm sadly not sure at all.

Do games or layers like SDL need specific code to support this?

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    For this to work you will need both a monitor and GPU that support DisplayPort 1.2a, this is the version that makes it part of the core VESA standard. Turns out it has been in the VESA spec for years, but was an optional extension that nobody was using.

Leave a comment:

• entropy
    replied
    Thank you both.

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    Is it important to you not to use a compositor?
    Nope.

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    If not, compton seems quite featureful while still being pretty light. Also, well documented: https://github.com/chjj/compton/wiki/vsync-guide
    I'll give that one a try.

Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• ChrisXY
    replied
    Originally posted by entropy View Post
    radeon + awesome wm without compositor.
    I guess there is technically no way to avoid it with this setup?
    Is it important to you not to use a compositor? If not, compton seems quite featureful while still being pretty light. Also, well documented: https://github.com/chjj/compton/wiki/vsync-guide

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by entropy View Post
    LOL - I was like "oh that still tears like hell" ...

until I realized it is actual my setup that does.

radeon + awesome wm without compositor.
    I guess there is technically no way to avoid it with this setup?
    DRI3 Should help a little...otherwise just run a minimal compositor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X