What's coming for "fglrx 2.0"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello to all ATI fanboys

recently I bought nc8430 notebook with ati x1600 gpu. This is my first ATI video card in my 15 years of using computers. If I skip cirrus logic and 3dfx, all my video cards were NVIDIA (ti300,4200,6600,7800). Linux is also more than 10 years my primary desktop OS, used mainly for development. No problems with gpu drivers

I have read stories about "difficult" ATI drivers under linux, but I never thought that there are so many troubles with them

and now back to my notebook. With preloaded ( and original copy ) of windows, I was very satisfied with purchase, until I installed Gutsy kubuntu version 7.10.

Immediately I noticed that something is wrong with speed of refreshing desktop. If I open filemanger with many files, it needs 1-2s to draw all items.....Helloo!!! C2D at 2GHZ and modern graphics.
    Video playback->disaster.

I tried with vesa driver and there is no lag. So obviously there is something wrong with ATI drivers ( no shit sherlock )
    I would use vesa drivers if they would support resolution 1680x1050. I don't need any 3d acceleration or TV out, just fucking 2d desktop to work like it should. And watch movie at night in my bed

So, I found out that with 7.04 kubuntu (8.34.8), desktop performance is ok.But there is "strange filing " that I cant use latest xorg server and latest kernel because of gpu driver

ok, to finish this whining, I hope that there is something good coming from ATI in near future....

just my 2c, i hope it helps

PS: sorry for my english

Comment

Use Debian.

:P

I would recommend using Feisty, not Gutsy which is in heavy development and to install the newest fglrx driver by hand. There are some very good howtos avaible (ubuntuusers.de for Germans, wiki.cchtml.com in English, e.g.) on how to do this. Then make sure fglrxinfo says it isn't using mesa.

Whoops, this is no help thread. To get ontopic: AMD should have something interesting coming out soon. No one, I mean, we don't know when, but in the near future which I guess could be even before Q04 (wouldn't place a bet on this) there is help coming.

Comment

There are "other" distros that might work better with your ATI card
        have you tried Fedora ? or perhaps even Slackware but compiling and rolling your own can be tough. Its not that Linux developers haven't tried it just can't pry the code loose from you know who, although rumor has it that there is a new process where the graphics driver can be made without violateing copywrited code...its one of those standby and wait till its developed.

Comment

YUY2 support would be nice.... tvtime is not working without

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            big open mouth pictures from anti-AMD nVidia fanboys
            WTFE, I would like to see a picture of someone using crossfire on Linux. Oh wait it not supported!!!

I have a new name for the AMD/ATI driver. Fglrx SSDD (Same S*** Different Day) I'm a AMD fanboy, but its gonna be a very long while before I buy another ATI card.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwing Strikes View Post
              I have a new name for the AMD/ATI driver. Fglrx SSDD (Same S*** Different Day) I'm a AMD fanboy, but its gonna be a very long while before I buy another ATI card.
              Heh, you need to POST that one in the name the driver thread- it's damned fitting right at the moment.

I went out of my way to get an NVidia GPU in my laptop- it dictated much of what I purchased and I spent more than I'd initially envisioned on it because of that. Unfortunately for AMD, many of the AMD based laptops have chosen ATI's IGPs to use as their GPU. This means NO AMD machines except at the very top-end, and I didn't have 3-4k to burn on a top-end gamer's laptop. They lose because their drivers stink. Keep in mind, this is not due to the people they have doing this being incompetent- NEVER think that one. Blame the upper management at ATI for it. If it doesn't get some honest fixing in the next 6-12 months, you can then begin to blame AMD upper management for this debacle.

Comment

agp?

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
                Only thing that concerns me, is video playback and a few driver bugs that have made my performance suffer further, such as the agp x1k issue I have.
                Hi, could you elaborate or point me to a post where you already have gone into detail on the agp issue, please?

This would affect me too, as I have an agp system - and am waiting for the new ATI drivers to arrive this week.

Thanks

P.S. If it's the DRI fails on AGP motherboards thing, i.e. with kernels above 2.6.17, then it's kernel/drivers/edac/ problem - which can be fixed by blacklisting or renaming the EDAC module that is being loaded...

Comment

Working...
                X