AMD Radeon HD 5750/5770

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
    The higher temps and power probably are only a factor if you max all settings and are using a high-powered game or application.
    Not quite. The 4890 draws more power at idle (+40W) and more power at full load (+80W), so you should expect it to draw more power anywhere in between. While the 4890 is a bit more powerful and might be able to downclock earlier in some situations, it'll never beat the 5770.
    Just saying: keep the power bill in mind when comparing prices.

Originally posted by Panix View Post
    WOW (to try only)
    don't. Others made that mistake. They never came back

I can wait for driver maturity as long as I can watch movies/videos with the card without problems. I need clear, watchable video.
    Well, videos are a tough call. Sure, it works, but your CPU has to do the decoding. Neither the 7950 nor the 5770 offer GPU decoding (although that may change for the 5770). Anything you could watch before will continue to work.
    1080p? Depends on the video. I can watch the guild wars 2 trailers just fine without GPU acceleration, but some h.264 videos just stutter. Funny enough, my notebook GPU should support VDPAU, but the video doesn't play any better with mplayer -vo vdpau.

Still, VDPAU is a convincing argument for the 260 GTX if you're planning to watch lots of HD content. If you can get it to work, that is. Then again, with a 1680x1050 monitor, why would you want 1080p?

If you disable Compiz, does that mean all of 3D capability is disabled, too?
    no. Only the composition features (wobbly windows, the cube, transparency effects etc). Games can use 3D just fine, it's just disabled for your window manager.

Comment

• What?

Why does this thread even exist? This card is not linux compatible. I see many references to Catalyst 9.11 and 9.12 supporting this card (thank you guys for reading the docs but...) despite the docs saying the card is supported by those versions, it is in fact -not- supported.

See: ATI Radeon HD 5770 is not Linux Compatible Despite Advertisement

Comment

• the card works fine with 9.12 and 10.1 drivers.

Now go back to your troll hole.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
          the card works fine with 9.12 and 10.1 drivers.

Now go back to your troll hole.
          ++

works exceptionally well here

Comment

• Would these cards support 3 connections: 2xDVI, 1xHDMI ?

Comment

• no, but 2xdvi, 1xdisplayport. And then there are dvi-hdmi adapters

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
                no, but 2xdvi, 1xdisplayport. And then there are dvi-hdmi adapters
                Right.. the latter is what I was inferring to: 2 x DVI, 1 x HDMI (via DVI>HDMI adapter cable)

I read one of the DVI ports shares its processing with the HDMI, so it's not possible to have 3 monitors plugged into HDMI and the DVI ports.

If that's the case, 2xDVI and DVI to Displayport is the only option for connecting three LCDs?

Comment

• Originally posted by terone View Post
                  I read one of the DVI ports shares its processing with the HDMI, so it's not possible to have 3 monitors plugged into HDMI and the DVI ports.
                  exactly. You can attach 2x DVI or 1x DVI + 1x HDMI. The third display has to be connected to the DisplayPort-output.

Comment

• I have two requests:

- The first is for Bridgman: I read that the ATI Catalyst restricted drivers stop too soon to support the older cards (I don't know if this is true, however, according to complaints read on various forums, cards purchased only a few years ago are no longer supported). Will be this support extended in the near future or old cards will continue to be left at the mercy of the open drivers?

- The second is for anyone who knows what's what and who is able to compile a list of all the problems encountered with the ATI Catalyst restricted drivers.
                    For example I see that Kano points the finger at XV but I have read almost all the threads and I noticed that there are many other problems.
                    Someone could then take stock of the situation?

I'm not an expert further my English is not good otherwise I would do it.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by bingel View Post
                      I have two requests:

- The first is for Bridgman: I read that the ATI Catalyst restricted drivers stop too soon to support the older cards (I don't know if this is true, however, according to complaints read on various forums, cards purchased only a few years ago are no longer supported). Will be this support extended in the near future or old cards will continue to be left at the mercy of the open drivers?
                      On the Catalyst drivers, R3xx-R5xx cards are only supported on existing supported platforms. They will not supported on newer kernels and xservers. Only R6xx-Evergreen cards will be supported on newer kernels and xservers. This is mainly because the Catalyst drivers share a lot of resources across platforms (Linux and Windows) and that generation of hardware has gone into maintenance mode.

Comment

Working...
                      X