X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by glussier View Post
    If someone is shopping for a graphic card and wants some features, he/she is better to buy a card that supports the required feature now instead of another card that will or might support-it sometime in the future.

One thing is sure for now, if you need uptimum performance, on par with what is available under windows, AMD is not the company to buy from.
    Unfortunately, so. The silicon's never been sub-par. It's been pretty close to NVidia's in ability since the R100's rollout- which is why they've held the position in the industry that they have right now.

Unfortunately, the drivers they have hamstring this performance. I really, really wish that AMD is paying attention to the sad story playing out for them here. It's a story that doesn't need to be playing out for them. It's certainly not for NVidia and Intel- and in this new game that's about to begin in the industry, you either need to be performant, open source, or preferably, BOTH when it comes to driver support for hardware.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Regarding times, see: http://www.michaellarabel.com/?k=blog&i=147

If AIGLX isn't supported by the end of this year, I will quit using ATI/AMD graphics cards. Is that enough of a statement?
    Yes, it is, Michael... And, it's telling. I just wish I knew whether AMD's paying any attention to this or not.

Leave a comment:

• glussier
    replied
    If someone is shopping for a graphic card and wants some features, he/she is better to buy a card that supports the required feature now instead of another card that will or might support-it sometime in the future.

One thing is sure for now, if you need uptimum performance, on par with what is available under windows, AMD is not the company to buy from.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Regarding times, see: http://www.michaellarabel.com/?k=blog&i=147

If AIGLX isn't supported by the end of this year, I will quit using ATI/AMD graphics cards. Is that enough of a statement?

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    Vista has the new opengl driver since January. Windows XP and Linux will get them later. If the new article by Michael is ever going to get online, we may know some new things. I can't wait, I hate waiting ^^ ... no wait, waiting is beautiful, but you only see it this way after things get released.
    Heh... I keep telling myself I probably need to work on this "patience" thing my mother kept chiding me about...

I guess waiting another handful or so of months won't be TOO bad. I just wish they'd fix the performance issues- I don't care how or with which driver codebase they choose to do it with.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    It will get online soon enough. As soon as I receive all of the slides from AMD, I'll see that the article gets top priority.
    Coolness. I can't wait to see what new info comes out of the article.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    Vista has the new opengl driver since January. Windows XP and Linux will get them later. If the new article by Michael is ever going to get online, we may know some new things. I can't wait, I hate waiting ^^ ... no wait, waiting is beautiful, but you only see it this way after things get released.
    It will get online soon enough. As soon as I receive all of the slides from AMD, I'll see that the article gets top priority.

Leave a comment:

• d2kx
    replied

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    since that new core was planned for vista it should appear pretty soon on windows. and since ati/amd tries to keep things in sync between arches and systems it might come fairly quickly on linux as well.

so i consider current fglrx drivers an soon-to-obsoleted codebase branch that is receining bugfixes only.

what about the new control panel? well i don't think that the driver api will change that much. external apps probably will still work.

Leave a comment:

• Moustacha
    replied
    maybe soon will be defined (roughly probably) by Michael's AMD slides. cross your everything.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X