NVIDIA GeForce vs. AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Performance For August 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
    NVidia have better RT, DLSS 2 and 3. Encoders give better quality, too.

But yes, in traditional rendering (with fake lighting and shadows ) Radeon does a bit better for the same price​
    And AMD has properly implemented working drivers.

Comment

Linuxxx

It's just a small number of tests, it is interesting to check out though. Game and application performance can differ by quite a bit when it comes to GPU's. I'm kind of stating the obvious though.
      Last edited by creative; 11 August 2023, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

your case is very special because i do not believe that many people do compute/ML tasks on mobile notebooks.
        this means the performance does not matter for notebook at all because you will just VNC/SSH into a server or workstation and run the task there.

also i think CPU+dGPU in notebooks are death and big fat APUs rule the notebook world without a vram memory wall problem.

about what APU i talk about for notebooks "AMD Ryzen 8000 ("Strix Halo"): APU mit Zen 5 und RDNA 3.5"​ and of course Apple M3 APU SOCs...

such a ryzen 8000 APU will have the performance of a RTX 4070 Max-Q

​ok this information does not help you right now but still i believe no one does AI/ML tasks on a notebook just get a server/cloud/workstation and VNC/SSH into it and run the task there. to run it on notebook is honestly not sane.
        Trust me, I *WOULD LOVE* to buy a straight AMD laptop for the smooth linux experience and open source love but I also am Not Special. My profile is growing among professional devs/devops/linuxers like myself who also game and want to dabble their toes in ML without paying $2k on a pro gfx card, or paying $20-50/month for cloud time just for experimenting, when 20-50x12 = the additional budget for a laptop that can let me do that when its refresh time today. I travel *a lot*, I dev a lot. I need speedy CPU and like to game sometimes too. I'm not unique (edit: in my experience, in talks, just from the last year, not even talking about the insane amount of dev articles on how to use pytorch or some huggingface model or etc)
        Last edited by panikal; 11 August 2023, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Both AMD and NVIDIA have outrageously priced GPU's. I don't give either company a pass.

No AAA title is worth upgrading to a new GPU for these days. When I saw reviews griping about The Callisto Protocol and how on their 4080's and high-end AMD RX-whatever I thought 'glad I didn't buy a new GPU this year'. After spending what I did on my 3070 I am like nope I am married to this damn thing and that was mainly for performance that I found acceptable for 1440p, I didn't feel my GTX 1070 could handle it that well. I got at least good 4-5 years out of that 1070 though.

Anyway I mainly play older games, System Shock 2, Republic Commando, Dishonored series. Lots of Warhammer games. Styx. Some eurotrash games, and a massive ton of games that run off of gzdoom, total conversions like Ashes 2063 mind blowing to me.

Forgot to mention the Dark Souls games, just about anyones half modern GPU will absolutely crush those games and it's an incredible series. A Plagues Tale was the last game I actually played that I thought was actually visually stunning and had a level of artistry that I could say hey that's a pretty incredible looking game, need to finish it, right now I slogging through SS2 and Star Wars Republic Commando.
          Last edited by creative; 11 August 2023, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Well you guys mix a lot together. Now with work processes you probably have not to much choice I would assume you do what is economically best only if it's close enough you can maybe make choices based on other aspect "fanboyism" "freedom"...

DLSS / FSR is only really beneficial in high end or at least upper middle range, because upscaling with 1080p look like shit.

Also FSR3 to my newest information (leeks) will be coming with the 7800xt release, so stop using DLSS3 > FSR2 talking point because FSR3 is soon there and it will also have frame gen, at worst it will be slightly worse than DLSS3 but even then it's better because more games will support it, because it's open and because AMD is the Console King.

You talk here a lot about Workstation Cards, I can't comment on that or on cuda.

Now the problem with Nvidia in general is that they always have 2-4gb to little ram with every card, we don't see that currently to strong just with most new titles we see it, then you can take your 10% here or there performance win on old games or theoretical speed is completely useless if you then get loaded trash textures or game crash or there are horrible min fps.

Similar to RT only the 4090 has enough VRAM to make a lot of sense, maybe here and there the 4080 but in many games that is to little for RT.

Also you can't just compare FPS and features and stuff, opensource itself is a feature, you can call me fanatic or zealot ar what you want but it's about having less stress with the hardware, why do Consoles sell better than gaming pcs? Because their Setup is easier, so you can't just dismiss that even if you care 0% about freedom. For fucks sake I bought a Switch (yes Nvidia) because I am sick of setting up and working on a pc, booting up such gaming rig or waking it up, switch forth and back because in Linux VR (Mixed Reality) sucks even if all would work as it should no controller support, but I not get even that working it's more like it works a while and then just stop working etc.

What I think also sucks a bit about AMD is the Playback of VR1 / h265 with >6k resolutions. I hope RDNA4 solves that.

And one word to this news (which seem most here mostly ignore) yes the 7900xt performs horrible often, people mentions what about a general mean of the results? On which site is that supposed to be, have I tomato on my eyes. Currently if somebody game me 1000 dollars I would probably aim for the 6800 probably without xt depending on the price difference of course, because just the additional power consumption, yes you can undervolt the 6800 aggressively to get the power consumption down, to the same level but then you buy a product and get only 90% of the speed or so.

I think for me 720p and 1080p (30-60fps) play outside of strategy games is what I target for, either natively with the switch or with desktop streaming to the switch, for that a old gpu will do fine

I think desktop gaming will take a strong hit from this market and future gaming will all be about upscaling and strong new "APUs" which AMD is king and Nvidia can't really offer. Maybe Cloud gaming also starts to boom but if things not change drastically and it doesn't look like it PC gaming market share will suffer a lot.
            Last edited by blackiwid; 11 August 2023, 09:13 PM.

Comment

blackiwid

PC gaming has always been a very niche thing, it's not going to change much in the future either. If you ask me the console market is a dumpster fire as well. I don't think there will ever be another great console generation like the PS3/Xbox 360 generation, they historically took the crown. After my PS4 I said, no more of this. Now all I see is just bad game after bad game with the marketing to go with it. To sum up modern games served to the masses one word says it all, putrid.

You are more apt to find better/funner games on PC in my opinion, also calculate all the game mods for games that support it, I have yet to see half-life or even doom mods for the most part even begin to die, I just keep seeing better and better stuff. Also indie games are getting better and better. Where I see decline in the market is the market itself for gaming, the sight of it makes me I wanna vomit. I know that sounds sour but I feel like I am being honest.

Remember Game Informer magazine? It's still around but mehh. I remember them covering the very first Dead Space game, now those were the days.

People say just get a console, or play PC games how they were intended, just use windows, hahahah yeah right, not a chance in hell here. PC Linux is where it is at for me. I daily drive slackware current and have a manjaro installation I don't boot into much anymore. Windows 10 only gets booted into for critical updates, and I'm not even about to bite on windows 11. The only reason I keep an install of Windows is for odd stuff like Samsung Smart switch in the case my phone can't update properly.
              Last edited by creative; 12 August 2023, 03:23 PM.

Comment

creative Well I detected with the switch the genre of roguelike, now they exist for the PC, too of course, but the form factor pivots to them.
                I understand that in theory except gyro tracing for the most part outside of VR the Switch can't do much that the PC can't do, too. But for me the setup and form factor becomes tedious. Now I don't say I have no pc for gaming anymore, I just refuse to update it from now on at least more likely.

And modding sounds nice in theory, but have luck with as example trying to use the GOG Version of Skyrim and the modding software, or in general have some "backups" of games and mod them, or even get them running right with controller, have to switch maybe to tv screen forth and back etc.

If nothing else the switch would be a thin client to stream games from the pc and for me the sport games are worth the console alone. Sure the steam machine is a competitor, but A more expensive and B you don't get sports games and C for this price it doesn't seem that VR can work it only has 1 usb port that you either have to use as usb or as display-port mode, but at least mine needs both at the same time D backups installing is way to annoying.

Heck even Skyrim for the switch has at least some mods . I just can't motivate me to play much games on pc in fact since I have the switch I also play again more on the PC. It's a lesser entrance pain, it's "cheaper" to overcome to start playing.

Comment

blackiwid Ok, now I would not even dream of using Skyrim outside of steam on Linux, Skyrim needs to be used with steams special shader precaching for major performance benefits. You can get away with more complex and modern games working well from GOG on WIndows but for Linux it's a different story due to the lack of quality Steam grade shader precaching.

On Linux where GOG shines is running older games inside lutris, games that really don't need extensive shader caching nor do require it.

So when you say Switch you mean Nintendo Switch right? Obviously it works extremely well for you and you don't desire much else.
                  Last edited by creative; 13 August 2023, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X