No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Announces The GeForce RTX 4060 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just throwing this in here. Price/perf is as embarrassing as the renaming/"tier-shift," but I don't think nvidia is nearly as concerned about short-term 40xx sales as they are about remaining 30xx overstock. For anything they do sell in the new gen, that keeps an old gen card on the shelves, they at east make a nice extra profit at these prices. I think it'll work out just fine for them, and long-term the powers that be want us renting everything anyway, so your not being able to afford to outright buy an entry-level next next gen might be just fine with them too.

Comment

The bus width probably doesn't matter, because these Lovelace cards have the equivalent of Infinity Cache in the form of massively increased L2 cache. Other than that, meh.

The ball is in AMD's court. I think they are more likely to launch a 16 GB variant of a 7600 XT now.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

NVIDIA doesn't prevent anyone from writing user space libraries for their open kernel modules. In fact the NVK project has been exactly that.

The "problem" with NVIDIA is that their driver and user space are near perfect despite all the screams to the contrary here. Yeah, their are regressions, missing features here and there but NVIDIA is a commercial company which serves its commercial customers who primarily use Windows.

AMD has a ton of open source here and there but from what I've heard in terms of quality it's nowhere near to what NVIDIA offers.

In short, if you love the idea of open source, great, Intel and AMD will happily serve you.
        If you love the idea of having a top notch driver and features, well, NVIDIA is there for you.

Blaming NVIDIA for not releasing a complete open source stack for an obscure OS which has zero customers on the desktop is kinda irrational IMO. Yes, I'm not joking. Show me Linux users who actually buy software and services (aside from rare Hollywood studios using NVIDIA cards for Optix/rendering).

At the same time NVIDIA sells literally tens of thousands H100 accelerators (priced from $15K) which primarily run headless distributed CUDA workflows. Tell me again why they need to "properly" support Linux with almost no commercial CUDA software and wildly unstable APIs.

Linux fans' "We want open source" is not something NVIDIA is interested in. They are in the business of making money.
        what a pile of non-sense

Gentle reminder, fly away little bird(ie)

Comment

As I said I addressed the 1080p lead, you pretend the article would have contradicted what I wrote it did not:
          Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
          Only in irrelevant fullhd resolution is the 4070ti in front of the 7900xt in RT
          Again you can argue that 1080p is important for a 700-800 dollar card in 2023, I just think most people who want to play in 1080p will not pay so much money for a graphics card.
          Last edited by blackiwid; 18 May 2023, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post
            The ball is in AMD's court. I think they are more likely to launch a 16 GB variant of a 7600 XT now.
            If appears dont be pass 300us for 16gb will be good because now rx 6700/6700 xt stay more closer to 300us and have more horsepower according specs than RX 6600/7600

Personally if amd give some liberty to manufacturers a RX 6700 non xt with 20gb of ram on 400us (or rx 6700xt with 24gb) will be very interesting

Last edited by pinguinpc; 18 May 2023, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              Almost everything in your post is either not true, or partially untrue, simply false or you even misrepresent your own links.

Speaking of the computerbase.de article:

rtrt.png

Either $800 4070Ti beats $900 7900XT (cheaper + same RTRT performance) or you're comparing a $1000 7900 XTX with $800 4070 Ti, so choose your poison.

I won't comment further because the rest of the post is just the same, including "FSR 3.0 will be released soon and DLSS 3.0 has enjoyed just a month of exclusivity". Neither of which is even remotely true. DLSS 3.0 has been out for at least half a year, no one knows when FSR 3.0 is gonna get released and according to the last review of a pro AMD youtube channel, Hardware Unboxed, DLSS 2 handily beats FSR 2 in all resolutions and modes except quality 4K where they are sort of equal. And DLSS 3.0 adoption has been a smashing success.

Buy AMD and be happy. I'm not a big fan of twisting the truth to fit your agenda which is "AMD is better no matter what". I despise people who prefer companies, not products. I despise people who have idols, no matter what or who they are.

Be frank, "I choose AMD because I believe in Open Source [drivers]" and leave the rest out. Thank you.

I don't believe in Open Source drivers maybe because I work closely with bugzilla.kernel.org and https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues where I see how wonderful AMD open source drivers are. Not a single person here except me touches these projects regularly.

In anticipation of your further possible counter-arguments, please, don't. AMD is the greatest CPU/GPU company and NVIDIA and Intel both suck. I hope you're happy now. Have a nice evening.

Last edited by avis; 18 May 2023, 06:27 PM.

Comment

The "problem" with NVIDIA is that their driver and user space are near perfect despite all the screams to the contrary here.
                Tell me why does x11grab not work then.
                Tell me why is there no API to record the screen.

Comment

Doubt AMD will release a 7600 with more than 8GB. The 7800X will have 16GB and the 7700X 12GB. Despite AMD's grandstanding on the issue or VRAM, they, like nvidia, are more than happy to be stingy in this regard. We are no longer in the days of Polaris GPUs where the performance gap was substantial and they had to entice people with large VRAM pools.
                  For a 1080p card 8GB is enough these days and probably for the near future. If you want more then you go to a higher tier with more VRAM. 8GB should be the minimum however, and this should be standard on any card of this type. Price will be the big factor here and for these kind of cards the target should really be $250-$300.

Comment

Almost everything in your post is either not true, or partially untrue, simply false or you even misrepresent your own links.

That I can give back to you, I understand that you don't want me to answer because I can debunk you. I admitted that there is a advantage in Fullhd (1080p) you strawmanned me as if I would not said that, I also explained and people can think for themself how many people want to buy a 800 Dollar graphics card or 700 (don't know the exact US prices), to play in 1080p with it. Who invests that much money into a graphics card but still has a 10 year old Monitor? I am sure such people exist, but that is a very very small minority. I concentrate on the other 99.99% of people with such graphic card, that own and want to use a higher resolution.

But hey if you want to play in 1080p and are willing to pay 700-800 dollars on graphics cards, a rtx 4070ti is the greatest, in that case I am sure I can offer you some mouse I have that is worth 2000 dollar.

Also what does it matter how long DLSS3.0 is already out, for a person that considers to buy now a graphics card it matters how long will this person have DLSS3.0 and not FSR3.0 if he chooses a nvidia card. If you can offer me a time machine and we move back in time that might be a great argument till you can do that, this is no argument and no debunking of what I said.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                      Doubt AMD will release a 7600 with more than 8GB.
                      I agree on that.
                      Despite AMD's grandstanding on the issue or VRAM, they, like nvidia, are more than happy to be stingy in this regard.
                      Price will be the big factor here and for these kind of cards the target should really be $250-$300.
                      Well you don't seem to make that connection, because they only ask for 250-300 Dollar for a 8gb card makes them less "stingy". Of course AMD will release a 8gb graphics cards, you seem to get carried away with the names of the card.
                      Amd already admitted that 7900XTX only competes with a rtx 4080 and a 7900XT I say therefor competes with a 4070ti, (and that is reflected by the pricing. Nvidia gives you a what is it in the US? 700 Dollar card with 12gb and amd one with 16gb. The same here, Nvidia releases a 400 Dollar RTX 4060ti and AMD will give you for around 400 Dollar a rx 7700xt with 12GB.

You understand that names are irrelevant? Your whole post would not make any sense if they named the 7900XT(X) 7800XT(X) and just decreased 1 number from all other cards but changed nothing else.

As you in the end yourself say, 8gb is not the problem but 8gb for what price.

Comment

Working...
                      X