Looking to play old games in Wine with old computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
    I don't think those work well on a 6600GT even on windows. The CPU is below the minimum requirements of some of those games, too. Max settings? I doubt that.

I couldn't play either Doom 3 nor Far Cry on high quality on my 6600GT, and I had a stronger CPU (1.8 GHz Athlon 64 3000+) to back it.
    I was able to play those games (except COD2) on a Geforce2 GTS playably (25fps+) with an AMD THUNDERBIRD cpu, surely a card from 4 whole generations up shouldn't break a sweat from them?

Using a P3 (!!) in 2009 is going to be a problem though

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
    Uhh where are those "old games", games from year 2004 are rather new. I tought that there are someone to asking oldschool dos games...
    in that case, going older than 2004 shouldn't mean using a geforce. Nvidia has horrid 8-bit palette and screen buffer issues >=\

Comment

Originally posted by leilei View Post
      Using a P3 (!!) in 2009 is going to be a problem though
      Well it is a Tualatin P3, though, which puts it more in class with a 1.4 Banias mobile. As I recall it, that put it handily in class with a 1.7/1.8GHz P4...Well, except for the RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by leilei View Post
        I was able to play those games (except COD2) on a Geforce2 GTS playably (25fps+) with an AMD THUNDERBIRD cpu
        If you call 25 fps playable, sure, go ahead They may work, but as I said they don't work well.

Personally, I'd rather stick with SNES games on an emulator before I start playing a stuttering FarCry at lowest details on 640x480. If Far Cry doesn't feel like holidays, it's not worth playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
          Because people run what they've got and we're knee-deep in an economic furball?
          Why did you take this out of context?

He said,

Originally posted by Kano
          but when you have got one faster pc why would you play older games with a lowend pc when you could use higher res with a newer one?
          I agree with him. An old PC to play games seems a bit odd when the games can be run from his main PC.

Comment

Originally posted by yesterday View Post
            I agree with him. An old PC to play games seems a bit odd when the games can be run from his main PC.

Because I can't buy anymore 5 1/4" drives to stick in my main pc dammit .

Comment

Hmm HP Pavilion 8760C well just checked that it has motherboard with agp 4X -slot with version 2.0 so you can put that agp version 3.0 6600gt on that...
              The best deals on computers, computer parts, desktops, laptops, electronics, tablets, software, gaming, hard drives, CPUs, motherboards, cables, and much more. With fast shipping and great customer service from Houston, Texas!

Hmm which tualatin it's the processor, with 512k or 256k L2 cache? With geforce 6600gt it could be very well pair... But for serios gaming, ahh well try and see I would say. Well someones plays doom3 with 3dfx voodoos, that I would call hc gaming...
              Last edited by tuke81; 22 April 2009, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                Hmm HP Pavilion 8760C well just checked that it has motherboard with agp 4X -slot with version 2.0 so you can put that agp version 3.0 6600gt on that...
                The best deals on computers, computer parts, desktops, laptops, electronics, tablets, software, gaming, hard drives, CPUs, motherboards, cables, and much more. With fast shipping and great customer service from Houston, Texas!

Hmm which tualatin it's the processor, with 512k or 256k L2 cache? With geforce 6600gt it could be very well pair... But for serios gaming, ahh well try and see I would say. Well someones plays doom3 with 3dfx voodoos, that I would call hc gaming...
                Depending on the resolution of course and what eye candy you have enabled but the first time I played Doom 3 it was on a 1700+ and a Geforce 4 Ti 4600. It ran perfectly fine. (1280x1024 iirc)

Comment

It's always fun to try to run newer games on old hardware, if anything just to see how much you can push the hardware. I also like running pure open source systems just to see what the software is capable of.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                    It's always fun to try to run newer games on old hardware,
                    That is true. There's a weird joy that comes when you're playing Metal Gear Solid on a 486 machine (at least, until humans show up), or getting AvP2 to work on a PowerVR PCX2 (not Kyro, not Neon250)...even benchmarking Quake3 with PCX2 against Kyro2 (13fps avg vs 17fps avg in FOUR.DM !)

Comment

My main computer is a Thinkpad T42. The 8760c has been pretty neglected these last few years since I got the laptop. Due to the sorry state of ATI drivers in Linux atm (it has an integrated Radeon 9600), it's not an acceptable option for PC gaming; which is one of the reasons I wanted to revive my old desktop. Since buying the laptop, I've heavily invested in the current generation videogame consoles, which is why my PC gaming funds are rather limited.

Looking on Ebay recently, it seems that I might be able to pick up a BFG 6800 GT/Ultra at a good price if I can get lucky. I'll be keeping an eye out.

Thanks tuke81 for seeing if the 6600 GT was compatible with my motherboard. I've heard it's really a crapshoot with these older boards how good their AGP support is.

Btw, I'm most definetly getting a Tualatin with the 512k L2 cache. If wasn't willing to go all out there, then I would be in even bigger trouble playing these games I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X