AMD Radeon RX 6800 Series Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
    Looks like the GTX 1070 Ti is getting a stay of execution for some time going forward. Not that I'm in any kind of desperate need of a new GPU, but it would have been nice to be able to support AMD doing the right thing and not pay an arm and a leg for the privilege.
    AMD isn't a charity. They're in it for the money too whatever people think of Nvidia or Intel prices. AMD does bring gains in performance when they can like with Ryzen. But, they have trouble doing that on the gpu side of things.

Either way, sales and discounts might be good in the future. Better now with competition. Everyone wins. AMD and Nvidia users because of AMD competition. So people can buy AMD, doing so helps Nvidia users in the end. Its what it is. People get upset over stupid things.
    Last edited by ix900; 18 November 2020, 10:51 AM.

Comment

So far one shop listed 5 pieces of the 6800 XT, sold out in 3 minutes. All other shops are down but probably waiting for a fantasy price to define . The one shop had it listed for around 750 Euro lol.

Damn I love-hate launch days.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianBc View Post
        It has already been known for some time that the new AMD GPUs, their first generation with ray-tracing, are a little better at ray tracing than the first generation of NVIDIA RTX GPUs, but they are worse than the second generation of NVIDIA RTX GPUs, which were launched now.

You are correct that if there exists someone for whom the main criterion for buying a GPU is ray-tracing, then he or she should buy a GPU that is best for ray tracing, i.e. one of the NVIDIA RTX 3000 GPUs.

However, I wonder if you were as vocal during the last 2 years, advising people that they should not buy NVIDIA RTX 2000 GPUs, because those sucked at ray tracing even more than the new AMD GPUs.
        I've never advocated for the RTX 2000 series which I didn't buy into as well (bought the GTX 1660 Ti instead). Kinda overpriced and RTRT performance is subpar.

And, to be honest, I am not a huge fan of the RTX 3000 series either. NVIDIA should have released their cards using TSMC 7nm (or better) instead of quite inferior Samsung's 8nm node. I refuse to have anything in my case which consumes more than 150W.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Other proprietary features of your PC you choose to turn a blind eye to: UEFI firmware, SSD firmware, NIC firmware, audio codec firmware and ... your AMD GPU firmware. By choosing NVIDIA you just have one more binary blob than when running AMD. Doesn't look too much different to me.
          Firmware isn't the same as a graphic driver. The later have much more influence on user system. The sick, clueless moron.
          Last edited by Volta; 18 November 2020, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Very disappointing!
            Only one HDMI port, they could've put 2 HDMI and 2-3 DisplayPort.
            The firmware is not there yet.
            The decoding is not yet supporting the common VA-API video acceleration.
            Good for gaming only, on everything else they suck.
            Compute doesn't work yet or if it works it's a very low performance.
            The whole split into gaming GPUs and compute GPUs is crap as I see no reason to buy and expensive compute GPU if I cannot sell it afterwards as a gaming GPU.
            Either you lose performance or you lose resell value, which means it's not worth the price.
            So no thanks, I will not buy and AMD GPU with all these compromises.
            It's a waste of money.

Comment

On the technical side, it is the first launch in a long time where AMD meets market expectations, at least in rasterization gaming performance. Congrats for reaching Nvidia-levels of performance! The sad part is availability and pricing. I am in the market of a 200 - 300 EUR card and only willing to pay that amount of money again if I get at least double the performance, this means I won't upgrade my Vega 56 anytime soon. I also don't like the split of CDNA / RDNA - Vega seemed to be a good compromise between these two worlds (but would have needed some more polishing to fix the hardware bugs, a TSMC process at launch and better drivers from the start).
              Last edited by ms178; 18 November 2020, 11:01 AM.

Comment

It seem like numbers on Linux is more pro AMD than on Windows. What is missing is GPGPU numbers, on Windows OpenCL seem to do extremely well and in Blender it challenges OptiX render. It would have been nice to have OpenCL/CUDA tests for Linux as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
                  AMD isn't a charity. They're in it for the money too whatever people think of Nvidia or Intel prices. AMD does bring gains in performance when they can like with Ryzen. But, they have trouble doing that on the gpu side of things.
                  Never said they were so you don't get to try and stand on some kind of high horse here. I'm perfectly within my rights to vote with my wallet and buy products from companies that behave in a moral way and similarly not buy products from companies I think do despicable things. This is the reason why I try to avoid Intel, Sony and Samsung products.

Either way, sales and discounts might be good in the future. Better now with competition. Everyone wins. AMD and Nvidia users because of AMD competition. So people can buy AMD, doing so helps Nvidia users in the end. Its what it is. People get upset over stupid things.
                  Doubt we're going to be seeing any sales when they can't even meet demand due to supply constraints stemming from how much other hardware is riding on the same TSMC 7nm manufacturing node. It includes AMD's Zen 3 chips, the new Xbox and Playstation consoles (both of which are badly supply constrained well into next year), a whole lot of smartphone chips from Apple, Qualcomm, Huawei/HiSilicon and MediaTek along with a bunch of other smaller customers.

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                  The sad part is availability and pricing. I am in the market of a 200 - 300 EUR card and only willing to pay that amount of money again if I get at least double the performance, this means I won't upgrade my Vega 56 anytime soon
                  That's a pretty tall order considering Vega 56 was officially a 400€ card and in reality more like a 500€ card. Half the price and twice the performance is something that takes quite a bit of time to materialize with the ever diminishing returns of high end silicon. Maybe we'll see something like that another 2-3 years down the line.
                  Last edited by L_A_G; 18 November 2020, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
                    It seem like numbers on Linux is more pro AMD than on Windows. What is missing is GPGPU numbers, on Windows OpenCL seem to do extremely well and in Blender it challenges OptiX render. It would have been nice to have OpenCL/CUDA tests for Linux as well.
                    OpenCL benchmarks will be up in ~2 hours in their own article... Lots of tests The CL performance is fantastic.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Other proprietary features of your PC you choose to turn a blind eye to: UEFI firmware, SSD firmware, NIC firmware, audio codec firmware and ... your AMD GPU firmware. By choosing NVIDIA you just have one more binary blob than when running AMD. Doesn't look too much different to me.
                      Well at the moment I can't build the latest 5.9 kernel with Nvidia drivers ...I can't build it with RT patches ...etc. because the closed Source Driver is not compatible.

On my other system with AMD driver I can do what I want and it isn't affected.

That is the difference...
                      Last edited by CochainComplex; 18 November 2020, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X