No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon RX 6800 Series Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today is the big day: Big Navi is shipping!

Did you mean: sold out?

Comment

Just notice, that min fps on nvidia is much slower. Max fps doesn't mean anything.

Comment

Originally posted by horstderheld View Post
        Do we have some numbers for idle power draw? Doesn't look so good on windows.
        Looks perfectly fine to me: thanks to GDDR6 (not power hungry X) the new AMD cards idle power consumption is just wonderful as they've finally solved multi-monitor idle power consumption which has been their bane for the past 20 years:

Comment

Looking promising so far. Compared to Nvidia, seems the Linux drivers are better than the Windows drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Other proprietary features of your PC you choose to turn a blind eye to: UEFI firmware, SSD firmware, NIC firmware, audio codec firmware and ... your AMD GPU firmware. By choosing NVIDIA you just have one less binary blob than when running AMD. Doesn't look too much different to me.
            Like I said, you are very very funny my friend... I think I will buy 2 of these jsut because of that....(one for my wife too)

Comment

Excellent option for gaming without RTRT and Linux users.

If you're looking for a future-proof card, you probably have to choose NVIDIA or wait for RDNA 3.0.

It has already been known for some time that the new AMD GPUs, their first generation with ray-tracing, are a little better at ray tracing than the first generation of NVIDIA RTX GPUs, but they are worse than the second generation of NVIDIA RTX GPUs, which were launched now.

You are correct that if there exists someone for whom the main criterion for buying a GPU is ray-tracing, then he or she should buy a GPU that is best for ray tracing, i.e. one of the NVIDIA RTX 3000 GPUs.

However, I wonder if you were as vocal during the last 2 years, advising people that they should not buy NVIDIA RTX 2000 GPUs, because those sucked at ray tracing even more than the new AMD GPUs.

Comment

Other proprietary features of your PC you choose to turn a blind eye to: UEFI firmware, SSD firmware, NIC firmware, audio codec firmware and ... your AMD GPU firmware.
                If you're saying there's no difference between closed source firmware and closed source drivers, you're not looking for differences hard enough.

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post

Like I said, you are very very funny my friend... I think I will buy 2 of these jsut because of that....(one for my wife too)
                  You can try if they're in stock lol. Go for 200 and be in debt. No one cares.

However, I wonder if you were as vocal during the last 2 years, advising people that they should not buy NVIDIA RTX 2000 GPUs, because those sucked at ray tracing even more than the new AMD GPUs.
                  So what? AMD had none so who cares? You bought their card and you didn't get it at all. What are you trying to say here? lol. The fps was basically zero on AMD gpu's there.
                  Last edited by ix900; 18 November 2020, 10:45 AM.

Comment

W.r.t. raytracing, I'm pretty sure that some of the more extreme differences are due to immature drivers and/or engines optimized for Nvidia hardware. You can't really blame game developers at this point, so far only Nvidia hardware was available. The Nvidia and AMD implementations have different and pretty obvious strengths and weaknesses. We'll probably see driver updates to improve performance somewhat and maybe patches to existing games to improve performance on AMD hardware.

Bu there is no doubt that the raytracing implementation is overall weaker compared to Nvidia's newest generation. As expected, really.

Comment

Looks like it's everything I expected in both good and bad;

Good performance - Check!

Good support on open source drivers - Check!

Non-existent availability - Check!

Gouged to 650€ or more for even the bog standard 6800 - Check!

Looks like the GTX 1070 Ti is getting a stay of execution for some time going forward. Not that I'm in any kind of desperate need of a new GPU, but it would have been nice to be able to support AMD doing the right thing and not pay an arm and a leg for the privilege.
                      Last edited by L_A_G; 18 November 2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X