Basemark GPU 1.2 Brings Linux Support - Wins For NVIDIA, Woes For Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basemark GPU 1.2 Brings Linux Support - Wins For NVIDIA, Woes For Mesa

Phoronix: Basemark GPU 1.2 Brings Linux Support - Wins For NVIDIA, Woes For Mesa

Last week Basemark launched their Basemark GPU 1.2 benchmark that now includes Linux support alongside all other major supported desktop and mobile operating systems. We've been testing out this Linux version with OpenGL and Vulkan support on both AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce hardware.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Title:
    Basemark GPU 1.2 Brings Linux Support
    Text:
    now includes Linux support
    Uh, it has always supported Linux since the first release. So no, it doesn't "bring" Linux support at all.

Original 2018 announcement of it: https://www.basemark.com/company/new...aluation-tool/

Originally posted by basemark - 2018
    Basemark GPU supports multiple operating systems with Android, Windows and Linux support released today.
    If you read the Beta release notes, they even made a point that the new platforms were iOS and macOS.
    Last edited by gutigone; 09 March 2020, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Of course it is not optimized, as it didn't had much traction for benchmarking under linux. But I expect Radeon GPU profiler to be used to squeeze some additional juice from Radeon cards.

Comment

Nowadays when RadeonSI doesn't work properly, I assume the software is doing something not spec compliant, so maybe they will have to add something to the quirks thing, dri conf or something like that

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
          Nowadays when RadeonSI doesn't work properly, I assume the software is doing something not spec compliant, so maybe they will have to add something to the quirks thing, dri conf or something like that
          Yeah almost. Guess we'll see soon!
          Wonder if they've worked with Nvidia for OpenGL AZDO support.

Comment

I tried running the flatpak file on my optimus laptop with an NVidia GTX960 using Vulkan, but it simply keeps segfaulting. On the Intel HD 530 the benchmark runs but of course it's slow as hell. Anyone had a different experience with that kind of setup?

Comment

Is Buyers Remorse only a thing when you buy AMD GPUs ?

Comment

The RADV glitches look DCC related.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                  Is Buyers Remorse only a thing when you buy AMD GPUs ?
                  Depends on your expectations. I've had more headaches with nvidia drivers stopping me from running new-ish kernels and nvidia flat dropping support for not very old hardware. I'm also not a hardcore gamer as most of my gaming involves running UrbanTerror, minecraft and occasional dabbling in some not new steam or gog titles.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                    Both the errors and the poor performance are suspicious, esp. if big game releases under several different APIs, several ports and different hooks all run stable, fine and performant.

There may be a bug in mesa - I don't want to rule that out. But my gut feeling reminds me of something like Final Fantasy XV, where AMD cards still perform very poorly due to batshit parameters in tesselation, draw distance and an overly strong dependency on specific gameworks functions which are either broken or extremely slow on AMD cards which give next to zero visual benefits compared to a "sane" setting.

While a benchmark is free to set whatever parameters and rendering evaluations they want, we as users are also free to disregard any biased benchmark. I'm going to wait and see, but wouldn't be surprised if mesa isn't at fault here.

Comment

Working...
                    X