Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you want in Linux Graphics Drivers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you want in Linux Graphics Drivers ?

clearly:

Hybrid Power!

It's a waste of Power to have a high end gfx card (cause you happen to play a game then and now), which displays only fucking firefox.

Other than that, I'd like compiz to be more gaming friendly.

Linux graphics drivers

That's easy. I want better performance and usability than what I can get in windows, and more applications and games and things that take advantage of it.

Open source-ness is a religious thing :-). As an end-user, I think it's a neat idea, but I prefer stuff that works if I have to make a choice. And I hate having to boot back into windows to play a game. I'd like to free my hard drive space of it.

When the intel driver matures and all this gallium stuff takes off and developers get paid to write this code, we're in business, i think.

But I'm afraid windows and Mac OS have too much of a head start and we're playing catch-up with hobbyist developers.

Comment

Open source drivers with 3D support in the default Xorg and vanilla kernel.

The state of 3D acceleration on Linux for both NVidia and AMD/ATI cards has been pretty abysmal. Linux proprietary drivers sometimes lag several months or more before getting features available on Windows and even then the drivers are never as stable or fast as their Windows couterparts. For NVidia and AMD/ATI there just isn't enough of a financial incentive to produce stable and high perfomance drivers for this relatively small market. Open source development does not have to suffer from the same problem. With tracing support being integrated into the latest kernels coupled with open source 3d drivers, the tables could turn to the point where Linux outperforms Windows by significant margin.

Comment

Dual monitor for lots of desk space and video playback on the GPU instead of hogging CPU.

ATI has recently improved its catalyst control for dual monitors. My AIW 2006 card will do extended desktop now but only as a matched pair. eg the extended desktop is 3840x1200 even though one monitor is 1920x1200 and the other is 1024x768. It's important enough for me to fork out the 220$ for a second 1920x1200 monitor so that will be coming soon.
        Last edited by artsci2; 05 February 2009, 04:40 PM.

Comment

intel driver matures

As an end-user, I think it's a neat idea, but I prefer stuff that works if I have to make a choice. And I hate having to boot back into windows to play a game. I'd like to free my hard drive space of it.

When the intel driver matures and all this gallium stuff takes off and developers get paid to write this code, we're in business, i think.

Comment

Working...
          X