Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon VII Linux Benchmarks - Powerful Open-Source Graphics For Compute & Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was expecting to read this and be like, "meh" and ended up "Oh crap... now I want one".

Comment

I really hope they could still optimize the drivers. Would be fair to compare this with 2080 ti & nouveau. After all nvidia drivers are proprietary blobs.

Comment

Sometimes optimisations won't help if a game heavily favours nvidia hardware over AMD,
        i.e. F1-2017 game runs a bit slow for AMD under Linux, oddly so.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          The OpenCL numbers are a surprise, especially considering release day drivers. In my mind this warrants further focused testing for people concerned with compute performance. Part of that focus should be reliability testing and even some attempts at underclocking.
          Not really surprising. The hardware is really powerful. Nvidia uses some algorithmic tricks to boost perf. The cooling can be improved though. They say they managed to improve tjunc by 10°C with better paste and washers to tighten the grip. In addition, under voltage operation used 50W less power.

Comment

I certainly wasn't expecting it to compete with the 1080ti/2080. It's been a long time since AMD were this competitive in pure performance and I imagine it will only improve with further driver tweaks.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              I’m actually impressed that AMD has a very competitive product! Further with this being launch day testing on fresh drivers we could potentially see improvements down the road.

Micheal
              The OpenCL numbers are a surprise, especially considering release day drivers. In my mind this warrants further focused testing for people concerned with compute performance. Part of that focus should be reliability testing and even some attempts at underclocking.
              Remind that the test is done with open source driver which is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                and washers to tighten the grip
                While I've actually done this myself on a card that was clearly defective and had literally zero mounting pressure, as an engineer I still have to point out that doing this on a correctly designed card can potentially have destructive consequences. Gaining a couple of °C in return for a cracked GPU or PCB is not worth it.

Comment

NVIDIA:

DLSS fraud, bad visuals and low performance gain with half to one year training:
                  The first public release of NVIDIA DLSS (deep-learning super sampling), an RTX feature, is out for FFXV. We benchmark and compare vs. TAA.Ad: Buy MSI's Z390 ...

DXR fraud, PetaFlops are needed for Full Effect so only for some reflections with a lot of noise and performance hit wile not always present:
                  This RTX graphics comparison (on vs. off) in Battlefield V analyzes the implementation of DXR/RTX in BF V.Ad: Buy an iBUYPOWER RDY PC (http://geni.us/qaA7kc3...

HW fraud, extra non shader units are outdated today just see "Primitive Shaders" and:
                  https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/0...any-cases.html
                  https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/0...aster-for.html

D3D11 fraud, GameWorks call's low overhead extra Nvapi extensions, AMD and DXVK can pick up some of them.

SALES fraud, Pascal had 2xFP16 for servers but not for gamers.

Make your selves a favor and do not buy.

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
                    [...]
                    Now all hopes will be in Navi - just as they were in Polaris or Vega. They really have to step up their game if they want to make great GPUs.
                    Most of what I've read points to Navi being lower-end GPUs, to replace Polaris (who still in most cases has a better perf/price ratio to Nvidia's competition almost 3 years after release). But maybe that's just confirmation bias...

Comment

Originally posted by Teknoman117 View Post
                      Good to know it meets AMD's claims. I don't think I can really justify replacing my 1080 Ti just in the name of better open source support though. Here's hoping Navi SKU will beat out the 1080 To by a respectable margin sooner than later.
                      If anything, I think the article proves the best value out there is probably a used 1080ti.

First, kudos to Michael for what is easily the best Radeon VII article and stats I've seen online for any platform. As someone else said, it makes me very happy and proud to be a paid subscriber. Second, I too am very impressed by how much stronger a competitor the Radeon VII is on Linux vs the meh Windows stats published today (or is this just because NVIDIA is less optimized on Linux than Windows?).

Kudos also go out to AMD's media staff who, with their countdown of sorts until the embargo's end, managed to really drum up enthusiasm and absolutely dominate the tech media cycle today and they probably will continue doing so for days. The only demerit is that, with everyone awaiting Navi, the universal Windows world impression was, "Not bad, but don't buy until we see Navi later on."

I agree with what everyone else says that if you have a $100 price drop, a desktop rig, and open source drivers on the kernel, this is a really compelling purchase (again, if you can't find that used 1080ti ).

Comment

Working...
                      X