Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Chart Shows How The Radeon RX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060 Now Compete Under Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
    Regarding 3D performance, that may be true - but in terms of stability they are absolutely not ready for production use. I would so much more like to see amdgpu win an uptime contest rather than some game benchmark...
    I can't agree with you. Whats wrong with RX580 drivers stability? I have RX580 since a year and stability is really good IMO, it's definitly a "production ready".

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
      I can't agree with you. Whats wrong with RX580 drivers stability? I have RX580 since a year and stability is really good IMO, it's definitly a "production ready".
      Same here, I've been running Rx480 with open source drivers for over a year, and all my Steam games play great. Performance is very good, can't even think of the last time I experienced any kind of a crash. The time is now for self respecting Linux geeks to make the switch to AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post
        I know it's easy to see AMD's average beating out Nvidia and celebrate, but...
        Looking at high: min / avg / max:
        1060: 55 / 76 / 105
        580: 37 / 94 / 149

The 1060 has a phenomenal lead in minimum fps.
        Looks like that is only the case with "high" graphics settings:

1920 x 1080 - Graphics Preset: Low - Anti Aliasing: Off - Scene: Spine Of The Mountain
        RX580 MIN: 40 / MAX: 268.1 / average 147.80
        1060 MIN: 35.6 / MAX: 245.4 / average 145.30

2560 x 1440 - Graphics Preset: Low - Anti Aliasing: FXAA - Scene: Geothermal Valley
        RX580 MIN: 60.3 / MAX: 87.0 / average 72.45
        1060 MIN: 57.5 / MAX: 81.6 / average 67.75

I'd like to see actual power consumption numbers. the 580 has a much higher power spec than the 1060, but I have no idea what it actually looks like in this situation.
        Last edited by HenryM; 20 April 2018, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by monte84 View Post
          With Valve and Feral behind Mesa/RADV im not surprised to see AMD cards doing well here. Glad I got my RX 480 when they were under $300
          I've got mine RX580 8 GB Nitro+ last May for 278 € ;-)))

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
            Regarding 3D performance, that may be true - but in terms of stability they are absolutely not ready for production use. I would so much more like to see amdgpu win an uptime contest rather than some game benchmark...
            I dunno. On my R9 290 amdgpu is more stable than radeon.
            Do you have a lot of crashes?

Comment

One day some paleontologists will dig up the vega cards, and find those missing TFOPS, possibly they got lost due to some extreme erosion event within AMD. May never know for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                I dunno. On my R9 290 amdgpu is more stable than radeon.
                Do you have a lot of crashes?
                Does dwagner have a GCN 1.0 card perhaps? The comment thread was supposed to be about Polaris, but he only mentioned amdgpu and I've seen people do that in regards to GCN 1.0 even though it's officially unsupported.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Does dwagner have a GCN 1.0 card perhaps? The comment thread was supposed to be about Polaris, but he only mentioned amdgpu and I've seen people do that in regards to GCN 1.0 even though it's officially unsupported.
                  'Hard' looking 390 if I remember right.
                  With firmware issues...

Comment

I haven't had any stability issues on hd3870, r9 280x and rx 480, later cards are running on amdgpu.

Comment

Never had a crash on RX580 here either..

Comment

Working...
                      X