No announcement yet.

Dell Rolling Out More Developer-Focused Systems Preloaded With Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow I considered ordering one last Friday but decided to delay it the end of the month, turns out to be a good decision
    Last edited by AJenbo; 14 November 2017, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post
      Unfortunatly, AMD's PSP is basically their own version of Intel's ME.
      It's still a lesser relative, ME remains more complex and powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
        As a hobbyist C coder myself I hate it when developers get access to the latest and greatest hardware. Some need it yes, but most of the developers should be on Pentium III systems with 128MB of RAM on 800x600 resolution most of the time. That way developers would learn how to write efficient code and optimize screen space!... HAH!!! so there!
        ....until you want that developer to use fancy schmancy new instructions like AVX-whatever and stuff.

Comment

As a hobbyist C coder myself I hate it when developers get access to the latest and greatest hardware. Some need it yes, but most of the developers should be on Pentium III systems with 128MB of RAM on 800x600 resolution most of the time. That way developers would learn how to write efficient code and optimize screen space!... HAH!!! so there!
          you are horrible!

also, buy better stuff - our programs work better on it :P

Comment

wish they are made it everywhere

Comment

Not when your employer wants you to use Javascript and run 5 or more docker containers and few VMs and run few instances of IDEs each taking 1G ram

Comment

I have been saying this for YEARS!!! I worked with a guy who wrote a java application that would instantly peg 15 of 16 cores on a server. I told him it was causing problems, and asked if he could make it stop doing that. His answer... "I'm writing it to use all of the hardware because idle cpu cores are useless, right?" Uhm.. no, they're for the other stuff, like the kernel and standard services.... I kid you not, this program was SO bad, that it would take an hour to transfer 10gb of files, at which time the CPU was completely pegged because it had to do sum hashing on every file because he was 'streaming' it over UDP.... his magical solution to FTP..

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Not when your employer wants you to use Javascript and run 5 or more docker containers and few VMs and run few instances of IDEs each taking 1G ram
                  Ha, that's why he stated 'C coder'. A nice efficient language. Javascript is horrible as far as efficiency goes. Can't really argue with the docker containers though, they definitely have a use case in development (still fuzzy on their production use though).

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post
                    I'm waiting for Ryzen Mobile. My current Asus 4k convertible with i7-7500U is holding up quite poorly after less than a year of owning it, and I'm voting with my wallet to not support backdoored devices (EME).
                    Originally posted by wolfpackn64 View Post
                    Unfortunatly, AMD's PSP is basically their own version of Intel's ME.
                    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    It's still a lesser relative, ME remains more complex and powerful.
                    I had to look this up; for the uninitiated: https://libreboot.org/faq.html#intelme

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I wish they would release a version with coreboot.
                    See above for relevant discussion.

Comment

I don't have an issue with programmers or developers using the latest hardware to do their work and coding.

But I do have an issue with them using features and calls / methods / references that are only present in bleeding edge versions of the development libraries / toolkits. Which effectively make it impossible to compile the same application on any OS (Windows, Linux, etc) using an older version of these libraries.

Comment

Working...
                      X