X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireBurn
    replied
    Originally posted by marty1885 View Post
    Why everyone is going for the Mali 4XX GPUs? They are too slow for any use in 2017. And they only have OpenGL ES support (No accelerated desktop, no browser acceleration, etc..)
    Kwin will quite happily work on OpenGL ES rather than OpenGL

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    No NFC either.

I would like to see a SBC based on the RISC-V architecture. It is a modern and open architecture. ARM like x86 is proprietary.
    How does this have any kind of effect on anything. There's bloatloads of free/open compilers for ARM and x86. You can basically do whatever you want with them. The chips cost less than 3 dollars apiece. It's the GPU that slows down progress. Basically all RPi clones are better than RPi in all possible ways. They just don't have the open source GPU drivers.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by ssam View Post
    The A64-OLinuXino is I think the same CPU, already shipping, has Gb ethernet, and is open hardware.

Both lack FOSS GPU acceleration (unless someone picks up the Lima work). But at least they can boot without a blob (unlike raspberrypi).
    You don't need GPU acceleration to display 2d framebuffer. Framebuffer out with proper kernel modesetting shouldn't a huge effort. I had the impression there's much progress with video decoding on many Mali boards, so the video can be accelerated. There's also CEC work in the kernel for media players.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by LaeMing View Post

Yes, for all its faults and foibles (all of which were deliberate compromises for price reasons, to be fair), the RPi is by far the most open ARM SBC out there that I am aware of.
    Does the open version of the RPi bootloader even boot Linux yet? Most people use the closed source version.

Leave a comment:

• ssam
    replied
    The A64-OLinuXino is I think the same CPU, already shipping, has Gb ethernet, and is open hardware.

Both lack FOSS GPU acceleration (unless someone picks up the Lima work). But at least they can boot without a blob (unlike raspberrypi).

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    The biggest reason for the RP success is they have a big and wealthy community around it for support. They have a full time developer doing graphic stuff. They have AND actively maintain their own distro.

Is not about hardware specs. None of these boards will be a desktop, is not a pleasant experience. Without the ruge software support the Pi has, only experienced people capable of handling software hacks to make the board work will think of buying it. The novice will always go for the Pi because of support. The sooner the RP wannabe killers realize it, their chances to produce a true competitor will increase.

Leave a comment:

• Misel
    replied
    This has got to be the longest Kickstarter introduction video ever. 37 minutes

Leave a comment:

• LaeMing
    replied
    Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
    So in short... they want to a release a new ARM-Board that is more closed than the Raspberry Pi but just call it more open?
    Yes, for all its faults and foibles (all of which were deliberate compromises for price reasons, to be fair), the RPi is by far the most open ARM SBC out there that I am aware of.

Leave a comment:

• marty1885
    replied
    Why everyone is going for the Mali 4XX GPUs? They are too slow for any use in 2017. And they only have OpenGL ES support (No accelerated desktop, no browser acceleration, etc..)

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Mh, better than average raspi clone bullshit, but it still has Mali.

"libre" used somewhat liberally because Mali, but they still seem to know what they are doing and fully explain down to technical level, so that's ok.

Le Potato is an epic name showing good marketing sense.

Seal of approval for this board.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X