Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panda PAU09 N600 USB WiFi Works Fine With Linux

Phoronix: Panda PAU09 N600 USB WiFi Works Fine With Linux

If you are in the market for a dual-band USB WiFi adapter, the Panda PAU09 N600 WiFi adapter works well on modern Linux distributions and will cost you just about $20 USD.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=24588

Good to know something like this exists now. Years ago, I was looking for a dual band PCI Express card and couldn't understand why there were none to be found anywhere. I eventually realised that routers, at least at the time, must have had two adapters.

Comment

Really, the range of a relatively large external wifi antenna is comparable to the internal wifi cards found in ultrabooks? Is that a good thing?

Comment

Always good to see hardware achnolwedgement.

M1kko, I believe some laptops actually hook in to metallic parts of the chassis in order to improve their reception. I noticed on my own laptop that the wiring is also quite long. As you note, and whatever tech is used, reception does seem to work quite well in lappies.

Comment

80211n is now ancient.

80211ad is about to be pushed out and yet we still can't find any 80211ac usb wifi dongles that work OOTB in Linux. What a freaking joke the Linux WiFi driver stack is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            80211n is now ancient.

80211ad is about to be pushed out and yet we still can't find any 80211ac usb wifi dongles that work OOTB in Linux. What a freaking joke the Linux WiFi driver stack is.
            This 80211ac usb wifi dongle claims to have Linux support.
            http://www.gearbest.com/network-cards/pp_443256.html

Comment

Does it need nonfree firmware, mening you need wired network to download fw...?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                80211n is now ancient.

From the Amazon page:

Works with 2.4GHz and 5GHz 802.11 ac/b/g/n networks

Comment

Originally posted by mastercoms View Post
                  From the Amazon page:

Works with 2.4GHz and 5GHz 802.11 ac/b/g/n networks
                  That's bullshit, this is a wifi N dualband device just like all other chipsets run by rt2800usb driver.

NEVER trust Amazon descriptions. It's already great when they post the correct model name.

They should have written a/b/g/n. The "a" on the beginning is a different and ancient type of wifi.
                  Last edited by starshipeleven; 04-25-2017, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                    Good to know something like this exists now. Years ago, I was looking for a dual band PCI Express card and couldn't understand why there were none to be found anywhere. I eventually realised that routers, at least at the time, must have had two adapters.
                    There are also router-only chipsets or Router SoCs that integrate dualband wifi.

Comment

Working...
                    X