X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    When it comes to laptops im the polar opposite. I want reliable and sealed tight literally water proof when submerged slightky. Soldered in means a reliable portable device. Such a laptop needs to be passively cooked to allow seal up. Frankly from a corporate standpoint such a laptop is far more desirable as rugged beats serviceable everytime.

Desktops and rack mounts are a different story of course but even here the machines must be forward looking. That means no legacy ports so many seem to think are needed.

Keyboards are always an issue! You simply can't please everybody. Id love to see a track pad that works as well as Apples implementations do.

In any event your idea of enterprise grade machines is highly outdated. For the most part a compter these days is one chip, some RAM and a secodary store. By definition little is serviceable and things like RAM will be in package with the SoC silicon in the near future. This isnt the 1960's, it isnt even the 1990's, massive servicable motherboards are a thing of the past.
    If you like the Apple way of laptops, don't ask for a imitation, buy one. I want a machine to work for me, out of the box, no USB adapter (that kills all you gain with a thin design) at all. The infrastructure of the places you work/visit will not change just because you fell for the idea that type C connectors is the answer for everything.

I don't dig your idea of enterprise grade hardware at all. Enterprise means ease of maintenance and robustness, not shiny, Apple-like-almost-impossible-to-fix machines. Also, be able to upgrade RAM and storage with available parts is a must, not a thing of the past, unless you like the idea of programed obsolescence. And there is a lot of things in a laptop that can go wrong and need to be replaced with new parts. Screen, keyboard, memory chips, storage, wifi, all of these can and will broke in a heavily used machine and you need to fix it. Apple computers are not immune to this at all.

Or you may think is money well spent buying extended warranty for your hardware, if things go wrong.

Keyboards need to have a solid surface, so when you press a key you didn't get distracted by the whole surface going up and down. This has nothing to do with key travel.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Once they get into designing their laptops, I would love to see a next-gen AMD + Intel (like the current macbook pros) system with high quality firmware (preferably built on coreboot) and a high-resolution display. I would like them to focus on efficiency (both on the BOM side and on the power side), maybe they could also include a programmable embedded controller to do interesting things (like recording your keystrokes before the system comes out of sleep, so that when the password prompt shows up, the keys are already in).

Leave a comment:

• Amigori
    replied
    I would like to see serviceable ram and hdd, quality ips screens, discrete graphics option (say via bumblebee), drop the vga port, high quality keyboard, and most importantly: a TouchPad that isn't utter crap!

Its 2017 and PC vendor TouchPads aren't any better (probably worse) than my 12" Powerbook TouchPad of 2002. My late-2011 mbp is the standard that I hold TouchPads by, but come on. My 2016 and newer work laptops TouchPads stink!

Leave a comment:

• sverris
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Things I want:
    • Open source UEFI firmware
    • Support for coreboot.
    • Open hardware. Schemata, wiring diagrams and CAD drawings for the PCB and the chassis.
    • USB Type-C.
      • Charging over USB Type-C.

And please fair production conditions for those building these products, and some effort concerning easy repair and upgrades...

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    What you really want is an AMD APU with 8-16 GB if HBM built in. This would destroy the bandwidth problem most APU implementations have. Im not sure if AMD is planning such for this year but it isn't something that they can ignore. Such a chip would make for a tiny motherboard with incredible performance.

All of that being said what i really want to see is an ARM based passively cooled device. The industry isnt far away from having suitable ARM based chips to make such a machine.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    And AMD APUs. It would be
    awesome if they could make a board where an AMD APU isn't hobbled by single-channel RAM, throttled to 15W of TDP which in "higher end" models is also paired with a total bullshit "dedicated" AMD GPU (that only wastes the battery) like the case for pretty much every Carrizo and later laptops.

Not. A. Single. Goddamn. APU. At. 35W. Of. TDP. Nor. With. Dual. Channel. Ram.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    I hope they release things that are easy to service. Nothing glued, nothing soldered in the motherboard (except for ultrathins, but these are other people's problem), easy to open panels and, for the love of God, don't make me remove the motherboard to be able to clean the cooler. In other words, enterprise grade machines. Try to steal consumers of the T-series Thinkpads. Remember: Thinkpads have awful quality screens. There is something easy to gain on them.

Oh, and we like nice keyboards and touchpads (no clickpad crap), nothing of that shallow travel, bouncing keyboards crap so "popular" with other vendors.
    As a 25 year ThinkPad abuser, since the Lenovo purchase, only the sub $600 models that share components with the Lenovo consumer line have the crappy LCD's. Depending on the supplier, most of the $1000+ Thinkpads have decent screens and keyboards. I have found used ThinkPads to be excellent Linux testbeds. I finally had to retire my T40 because the latest distros needed a CPU function that the Pentium M couldn't provide. We are talking a 15 year old model here. That's a pretty good shelf life!

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    When it comes to laptops im the polar opposite. I want reliable and sealed tight literally water proof when submerged slightky. Soldered in means a reliable portable device. Such a laptop needs to be passively cooked to allow seal up. Frankly from a corporate standpoint such a laptop is far more desirable as rugged beats serviceable everytime.

Desktops and rack mounts are a different story of course but even here the machines must be forward looking. That means no legacy ports so many seem to think are needed.

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    I hope they release things that are easy to service. Nothing glued, nothing soldered in the motherboard (except for ultrathins, but these are other people's problem), easy to open panels and, for the love of God, don't make me remove the motherboard to be able to clean the cooler. In other words, enterprise grade machines. Try to steal consumers of the T-series Thinkpads. Remember: Thinkpads have awful quality screens. There is something easy to gain on them.

Oh, and we like nice keyboards and touchpads (no clickpad crap), nothing of that shallow travel, bouncing keyboards crap so "popular" with other vendors.
    Keyboards are always an issue! You simply can't please everybody. Id love to see a track pad that works as well as Apples implementations do.

In any event your idea of enterprise grade machines is highly outdated. For the most part a compter these days is one chip, some RAM and a secodary store. By definition little is serviceable and things like RAM will be in package with the SoC silicon in the near future. This isnt the 1960's, it isnt even the 1990's, massive servicable motherboards are a thing of the past.

Leave a comment:

• sarfarazahmad
    replied
    please at least use ryzen

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
    I'd like an option with AMD cards instead of Nvidia...
    And AMD APUs. It would be awesome if they could make a board where an AMD APU isn't hobbled by single-channel RAM, throttled to 15W of TDP which in "higher end" models is also paired with a total bullshit "dedicated" AMD GPU (that only wastes the battery) like the case for pretty much every Carrizo and later laptops.

Not. A. Single. Goddamn. APU. At. 35W. Of. TDP. Nor. With. Dual. Channel. Ram.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Things I want:
    • Open source UEFI firmware
    • Support for coreboot.
    • Open hardware. Schemata, wiring diagrams and CAD drawings for the PCB and the chassis.
    • USB Type-C.
      • Charging over USB Type-C.
    Open hardware doesnt mean much to me as i wont be doing any electrical engineering or low level programming for that matter. However it would be nice.

What i do want to see in addition are the following:
    • ARM based processor
    • at least one high performance SD slot that takes the card internally. The idea here is to avoid "wings" when the SD card is installed.
    • A fast and large SSD. Frankly options up to about 4TB. Yes the top may be expensive.
    • 8GB of RAM minimal. Im not a RAM fiend so that is a good base value.
    • HDMI out is still a good thing.
    • note that the above are for a laptop. Desktops would need the above plus more USB-C ports and an ethernet port. I might go retro and suggest an RS 232 port also. Also in a desktop storage must be in an industry standard slot for SSDs. Actually four storage slots would be nice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X