It Turns Out The Btrfs RAID 5/6 Issue Isn't Completely Fixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
    Ya thats pretty much it, but I think Grub can boot it pretty well. GhostBSD defaults to Grub (for some reason). EFI has to be fat32 but... you could setup a EFI and a compressed L2ARC on a SSD then let ZFS manage the spinning disks. That is what I do with Funtoo so you get ZFS cache speed from the SSD for the files that are actually stored on the spinning disks.
    I keep EFI on an internal USB flash drive (my mobo has internal USB ports for some reason, but there are cheep adapters to have internal ports too if you have some spare USB headers), with another system installed in there too I use for recovery or whatever.

I don't like to keep EFI partition or recovery OS on a drive that might die fast (SSD cache drives are there to be burned after all, won't really last), nor to waste Sata ports for that.

Comment

I appreciated that BTRFS is trying to achieve a set of very complex goals and that much of the work is being done by people with other jobs but the amount of time a headline feature like RAID5/6 is taking is becoming a bit of a bad joke.

At this rate even Apple will have finished their next-generation file system which also does COW before BTRFS is ready for use. (See https://developer.apple.com/library/...roduction.html)

Note: The above should not be misinterpreted as saying APFS is going to be better than BRTFS, ZFS or any other FS.

Comment

Working...
      X