Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoshi
    replied
    The btrfs mailing list isn't that pleased about the article. Maybe Michael should post an update, stating that this patch doesn't fix ALL the outstanding issues with raid5/6

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
    Are there more things to address (besides code quality)
    Quite a bit, so don't jump on it yet. This was just major scary shit that was supposed to require large sweeping changes to fix, but the non-implemented stuff is still not implemented.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    Btrfs is smelling really rotten... Rancid butter?
    You smell like bullshit.

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    If this is a bug fix, I'd expect it to go into 4.9 and be back ported to the stable kernels

Leave a comment:

• ssam
    replied
    This is pretty good news. The worst case of "more or less fatally flawed, and a full scrap and rewrite to an entirely different raid56 mode on-disk format may be necessary to fix it" turns out not to be true. I'll probably stick with BTRFS raid 1 a bit longer though.

The write hole is not unique to BTRFS, and the checksumming reduces its impact. So I don't see that as a big deal.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    AFAIK even with the patches the write hole still exists, parity is still not checksummed and scrub will still not repair. It just fixes a scrub race condition which is not even mentioned in the wiki.
    On top of that it's also damn slow.

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied
    Btrfs is smelling really rotten... Rancid butter?

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    AFAIK even with the patches the write hole still exists, parity is still not checksummed and scrub will still not repair. It just fixes a scrub race condition which is not even mentioned in the wiki.

Leave a comment:

• waxhead
    replied
    Originally posted by Nille View Post
    Does this need a new on disk format or its just a driver thing?
    From what I was able to piece together it is just a race condition and does not require a format change. The disk format is actually marked as stable and newer kernels will support older formats if a format change is necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    Does this need a new on disk format or its just a driver thing?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X