Snagging A Deal On My Newest 4K Adaptive-Sync Monitor For Linux Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snagging A Deal On My Newest 4K Adaptive-Sync Monitor For Linux Testing

Phoronix: Snagging A Deal On My Newest 4K Adaptive-Sync Monitor For Linux Testing

If you happen to be in the market for a 4K 28-inch display, here's the latest one I have purchased for our Linux hardware testing here at Phoronix. Right now it also appears to be for a very competitive deal at one particular e-tailer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There seems to be an even better Samsung 4k monitor for the same price plus 10% off.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
      There seems to be an even better Samsung 4k monitor for the same price plus 10% off.
      Link? There was one I was looking at that claimed FreeSync and such but was like released two years ago and had similar specs to the ASUS, if my memory serves me from a few weeks ago.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

WoT can be run over Wine... But War Thunder is much better native experience

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Link? There was one I was looking at that claimed FreeSync and such but was like released two years ago and had similar specs to the ASUS, if my memory serves me from a few weeks ago.
          Buy SAMSUNG U28E590D Black 28" 4K UHD Widescreen LCD/LED Monitor, AMD FreeSync 1ms, 370 cd/m2 DCR Mega Infinity (1000:1), VESA Mountable, HDMI DisplayPort with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Comment

Both the Asus and the Samsung have TN Panels. Wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.
            Specs seem pretty similar, however the Asus seems to have a proper base (height adjustable!) and integrated speakers.
            Last edited by anybody; 18 June 2016, 08:53 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

That Asus monitor for us down under is AUD$584.00 + AUD$168.01 in shipping.

ouch

Comment

Originally posted by anybody View Post
                Both the Asus and the Samsung have TN Panels. Wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.
                Specs seem pretty similar, however the Asus seems to have a proper base (height adjustable!) and integrated speakers.
                TN Panels are not so bad (read also, not that good either). They get the job done and are what 90% of people actually use.
                I had an interesting case once where a website I was making looked awesome and then a feature request came in for something that was already implemented (hover colour on table row, pretty standard stuff). Turns out the colour I was using was too subtle for the TN panels in the office to display.

Lesson learned - always use (or at least test thoroughly on) a TN panel. At least for 1 display

They also have other redeeming factors like being super fast and not suffering from "IPS Burn In" or higher refresh rates. Granted IPS burn in can be fixed by setting a default white background to get rid of the artifact...

All that said, I would prefer my next monitor(s) to be at least VA, preferrably some variant of IPS (or equiv/better) with freesync and 4k

Comment

I'm torn on getting 4K or 1440p @ 144 Hz.

Comment

Well, really only 76Hz?? How do you want to properly test FreeSync with this?

Or do you expect no game under linux and 4k to run more then 76fps ... /sarcasm

I would have went with the EIZO FORIS FS2735: IPS-Panel, 2k @ 144 Hz @ 1ms, 27"

IMHO 2k is also more consumer ready/suitable for the foreseeable future (in general, not just for linux gaming).

Comment

Working...
                    X