No announcement yet.

My Intel Linux NICs Have Developed A Nasty Habit Of Becoming Hung

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had something similar sometime back and it turned out not to be the servers but a faulty switch.

Comment

I have one I217-V that sometimes starts taking down the whole network by flooding it with packets. The network immediately recovers when the offender is unplugged.
      I tracked it down to around kernel version 3.19; the machine will stay up for months without issues with kernels <=3.18, but start taking down the network completely
      at random with linux 3.19+.

Comment

For "Intel Corporation 82579V Gigabit Network Connection" there also exists an official Intel update:

Without the NIC changes the PCI-ID during reboots (some IDs never get a connection, others just are annoying). I have this kind of nic on my Asus P8Z68-V, it basically works just Wake-On-LAN does not seem to work with Linux (WOL somehow disabled at poweroff), it worked with only Windows, a bit stupid...

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
          I have one I217-V that sometimes starts taking down the whole network by flooding it with packets. The network immediately recovers when the offender is unplugged.
          I tracked it down to around kernel version 3.19; the machine will stay up for months without issues with kernels <=3.18, but start taking down the network completely
          This appears to be a known issue with that model of NIC and certain driver versions - you can work around it by disabling WoL, I believe.

cf. https://communities.intel.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0 and other threads you can find by searching intel wake on lan flood bug - if you're seeing a flood of ICMPv6 packets, it's almost certainly this bug.

Comment

Michael : What driver version are you using?
            Have you tried the latest version (3.3.3)?

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
              If you already tracked the regression down to between v3.18 and v3.19 then consider doing a git bisect. It would only take around 13 steps to identify the exact commit that introduced the bug.

Comment

As stated above tso off was't enough. In my case:
                Intel Corporation 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)
                modinfo e1000e
                filename: /lib/modules/3.10.0-327.13.1.el7.x86_64/updates/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e/e1000e.ko
                version: 3.3.3-NAPI

Centos 7

I had to add to rc.local:

#get rid of intel's e1000e 1 GBit ethernet card random resets
                ethtool -K enp0s25 gso off gro off tso off

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post

If you already tracked the regression down to between v3.18 and v3.19 then consider doing a git bisect. It would only take around 13 steps to identify the exact commit that introduced the bug.
                  Well, it takes from 2-3 hours to a few weeks until the bug manifests, and I don't have a spare that exhibits the problem (yet).

Comment

Working...
                  X