Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy
    replied
    In testing a Pi 3 today it does seem temperature sensitive. When I build the kernel (4.1.20) using all 4 processors (-j4) it will quickly heat up and freeze (pun intended). When using just a single CPU the temperature is as follows.

Sun Mar 20 09:51:40 CDT 2016
    temp=68.8'C
    frequency(45)=1000000000
    frequency(1)=500000000

With 4 cpus it quickly goes north of 80 and stops. I need to try the same uSD in a Pi 2 but that has always built with a -j4 compile.

Leave a comment:

• JanCeuleers
    replied
    Originally posted by dsx724 View Post
    With active cooling, which we really recommend for the Pi 3, the temperature remained at most 50°C.
    But Michael still misrepresented that data by saying that the temperature was cut in half. Half of 100°C is around -87°C. Hint: absolute zero is at -273°C.

Leave a comment:

• drSeehas
    replied
    Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    ... 72-73^F. Somewhat cool-ish. I have no idea what that would be in ^C.
    The formula is:
    °C = (°F − 32) × 5⁄9
    = (72 − 32) × 5⁄9
    = 40 × 5⁄9
    ~ 22°C

Leave a comment:

• Dukenukemx
    replied
    Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
    From what I understand the new ODROID is about $/€/£ 5,- more expensive than the new Raspberry Pi 3, but performs much better. Why not just go for that then?
    #1 it isn't just $5 more. The website I went to is asking for $16 shipping, which makes it $56.
    #2 The Pi3 comes with built in Wifi and Bluetooth which saves you something like $10 to $15 on dongles, plus it frees USB ports.
    #3 The Pi3 is actually open, so anyone can make a distro for it. As far as I know, the ODROID C2 has one distro with a really old kernel. The Amlogic S905 doesn't really work outside of Ubuntu that they supply.

And while it is nearly twice the speed of the Pi3, that's not why you buy one of these devices. I would need a lot more CPU power and ram to do anything worth it with the machine. If I need serious CPU power, I'll build something with a ITX motherboard.

Leave a comment:

• Grawp
    replied
    Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
    From what I understand the new ODROID is about $/€/£ 5,- more expensive than the new Raspberry Pi 3, but performs much better. Why not just go for that then?
    Odroid boards have horribly old kernels (usually fixed to one version) with almost no hope of ever getting an update.

Leave a comment:

• tkaiser
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan Werner View Post
    There are already several benchmarks of Pine+ on openbenchmarking.
    Please DO use heatsink for Pine, latest BSP from @longsleep
    It's absolutely worthless to run 'fire and forget' benchmarks on the Pine64+ now since the results depend heavily on both optimised heat dissipation (a heatsink or even a fan) and even more the thermal/throttling settings (same applies to all modern SoCs that are throttling candidates). There are no 'factory defaults' for Pine64+ since this is all community stuff and we're still discussing optimal settings.

At least the PTS is able to demonstrate how the benchmark scores you get depend on thermal conditions: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.p...d=3337#pid3337

Leave a comment:

• unixfan2001
    replied
    Even as a European I've taken quite a liking to the imperial system.
    It's a nice brain teaser.

Leave a comment:

• Cyber Killer
    replied
    Originally posted by dsx724 View Post
    Fixed. I agree with you but theres no way to type that on US keyboard on the default keyboard. Maybe it's just laptops.
    Works also on the Polish layout :-) °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° and on German, English (british), Spanish, French, Swedish, Norwegian... not on Russian or Italian, or yeah, English (US)

note: this is only on GNU/Linux, other platforms don't have the fancy key combos.

Leave a comment:

• darkfires
    replied
    Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

Speaking as a *CANADIAN* (where we officially are "metric"), there only places where ^C makes any sense at all to me, is around 0 (freezing) and 100 (boiling). Anywhere off that, and ^F makes a lot more sense to me. I keep my furnace set to 72-73^F. Somewhat cool-ish. I have no idea what that would be in ^C.
    I'm Canadian too and all I use is °C, the only reason I can even think of is you are 50+ years old and learned to use °F before they finished changing it in 1977, and never bothered to try to make sense of metric. The only people in Canada I know that use °F are all old. Imperial needs to die the death it deserves, its a horrible outdated system. There is a good reason why 95% of the world doesn't use it anymore.

Oh and for what it's worth, another easy thing to remember. -40°C = -40°F, at that temperature they are both the same value.

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by nocri View Post
    A little bit off topic, but Michel could you use metric units in your articles ? AFAIK it is easier for Americans to convert to imperial units on the fly as you are studying metric units in school as for the rest of the world ...
    Speaking as a *CANADIAN* (where we officially are "metric"), there only places where ^C makes any sense at all to me, is around 0 (freezing) and 100 (boiling). Anywhere off that, and ^F makes a lot more sense to me. I keep my furnace set to 72-73^F. Somewhat cool-ish. I have no idea what that would be in ^C.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X