Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Kernel USB 3.1 SuperSpeed+ 10Gb/s support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Kernel USB 3.1 SuperSpeed+ 10Gb/s support?

Hi.

I just bought a Vantec USB 3.1 SuperSpeed+ 10Gb/s Gen II PCIe-x4 adapter card based on an "ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1142 USB 3.1 Host Controller".

My Fedora 4.2.8-300.fc23.x86_64 kernel only seems to be listing it as "xhci_hcd/2p, 5000M" :-(

Is it just this chip which isn't fully supported yet, or does the kernel not have any SuperSpeed+ 10Gb/s support yet? Does anyone know if it's being worked on?

Much Thanks!

Hello, did you ever figure out why Linux was only seeing it as a USB 3.0 device? I was thinking of picking up the Gigabyte GC-USB3.1 card to replace my 5 year old failing USB 3.0 chip. And the Gigabyte card also has the ASMedia ASM1142 and a Type-C charging port apparently.

Comment

Yeah, it's cuz the kernel had no USB 3.1 support at all. Recent articles indicated it was being worked on (in 4.7 I think).

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
        Yeah, it's cuz the kernel had no USB 3.1 support at all. Recent articles indicated it was being worked on (in 4.7 I think).
        OK cool, I guess I will hold off until 4.7 gets released. Then maybe give that card a try.

Comment

Originally posted by SkOrPn View Post

OK cool, I guess I will hold off until 4.7 gets released. Then maybe give that card a try.
          Did either of you use the ASM1142 chipset with kernel 4.7 yet?
          Is it supported now?
          ...How about 4.8?

I'm eyeing the Syba (SD-PEX20200) USB 3.1 10Gbps Type-C PCI-E Controller Card and it uses the same chipset.

TIA!

Comment

Originally posted by fhj52 View Post

Did either of you use the ASM1142 chipset with kernel 4.7 yet?
            Is it supported now?
            ...How about 4.8?

I'm eyeing the Syba (SD-PEX20200) USB 3.1 10Gbps Type-C PCI-E Controller Card and it uses the same chipset.

TIA!
            Actually I did get the Gigabyte GC-USB 3.1 card, but sadly I have not yet tried Linux with it. I wonder if the Live USB of Ubuntu 16.10 would give me any indication if it works at usb 3.1 speeds since 16.10 has the 4.8 kernel by default? I recently did my Linux box a favor and gave it a dedicated machine all its own (got really tired of dual boot), but the 3.1 card is in my Windows machine still.

By the way I updated my 4.8 kernel to the latest release and in the release notes it had tons of USB fixes apparently. hmmm

Comment

Thanks for reply.
              Actually I did get the Gigabyte GC-USB 3.1 card,
              I looked at that one since it has Type A and Type C but they do not specify the chipset at Amazon, Newegg or even Gigabyte's product page for it so figured it was more Gigabyte nonsense and skipped it.

I wonder if the Live USB of Ubuntu 16.10 would give me any indication if it works at usb 3.1 speeds
              Yes, for the Type C port with Type C interface on device. ...actually, the ` lsusb ` should provide the 'if it can' info without a device attached but cannot be certain since do not know the chipset or what support there is in 4.8 or 4.9 kernels.

And thanks for the tip about 16.10 ...did not know. I ran 16.04 Kubuntu for a while but it just never was quite right ...for me. I think i'll take a look-see for 16.10.

If GC-USB 3.1 uses ASM1142 chipset, let us know ` lsusb `output and/or your experience with the 3.1 Type C.

c-ya

Comment

As I said before the Gigabyte card also has the ASMedia ASM1142 and a Type-C charging port apparently, although I do not believe it is 3 amps like the Syba card, but maybe since the layout is near identical. The Gigabyte card was the first card with this chipset and was bundled with certain mobos when first introduced. Asus just soldered it directly to their boards on all of their mobos. I only got it because of its black PCB (to match my black everything) and the type A port to match to my HooToo HUB. I do not have any USB 3.1 devices (waiting for hubs to mature) but I wanted a more stable faster USB 3.0 setup, only to discover all my USB 3.0 devices have nearly doubled in speeds with this card. My SanDisk flash drive speeds went through the roof with this card. I went through three 3.0 cards before settling onto this 3.1 card. Wish I would have got it sooner.

By the way, what other discreet chipset is 3.1 10GB/s certified? When I got this card there was no other discreet 3.1 chipset I could find. I looked at all the known USB chipset manufacturers and only found the ASM1142. Has things changed since then? Does ASMedia finally have competition lol?

Since this was the only USB 3.1 chipset that I found I would assume the Linux kernel was built with this chipset in mind and well as built in 3.1 on Intel/AMD motherboard chipsets.

Let me know of the terminal command exactly to try so I can check if it can, lol. Oh and 16.10 requires a kernel update already apparently.

Comment

Working...
                X