Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Ultra HD 4K Monitor P2415Q Works Great On Linux Systems

Phoronix: Dell Ultra HD 4K Monitor P2415Q Works Great On Linux Systems

If you are after a 4K / Ultra HD display this holiday season, the Dell P2415Q is a great monitor that can be found for just over $400 USD while not running into any compatibility troubles under Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

phoronix Michael, do you think you could test this monitor at 30 bits colors (10 bits per color channel)? Dell monitors can do this since ages, but this feature is always skipped in the tests unfortunately.

Also, is there a way to break out the audio signal coming from DisplayPort or HDMI in a digital, multi-channel way? E.g. in order to route it to an HDMI A/V receiver.

Comment

Based on the photos the font scaling seems to work well. I always worried the text would be too small on 4K, especially at 24".

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Based on the photos the font scaling seems to work well. I always worried the text would be too small on 4K, especially at 24".
        If you are interested in HiDPI scaling I can send you a screenshot of Plasma 5.4 on my 13" ~4K laptop
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

4K and 24" is actually perfect, because you can scale and even 2x and everything has exactly the size as 1080p on 24".
          Only if an app does not scale, the font is very tiny an stressing on the eyes, but still readable if it absolutely has to be.

Comment

Originally posted by utack View Post
            4K and 24" is actually perfect
            Almost, I prefer 5K in the 24"-27" range.
            ## VGA ##

Comment

Now that the latest Samsung UltraHD/4K televisions do 4:4:4 chroma, I mounted the new curved 40" to a monitor arm, plugged into my GTX 980 (X-99/i7-5930K). I win

Frankly, HiDPI is a waste. Even at 40", 4K still gives me higher DPI than I had the last 20 years, and this 40" curved, sitting two feet from my face, is glorious.

Comment

4K without scaling is probably fine on a 40"+ monitor, but the monitor is too big. I prefer a dual 24".
                ## VGA ##

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  the monitor is too big
                  Clearly you've never used Eclipse's debug perspective

Comment

On other hand, messagebox doesn't looks "scaled" but rather appears to be quite tiny.

Comment

Working...
                    X