Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kingston HyperX Predator SSD On Linux: Still Not Making Par

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kingston HyperX Predator SSD On Linux: Still Not Making Par

    Phoronix: Kingston HyperX Predator SSD On Linux: Still Not Making Par

    Last week I posted some initial Kingston HyperX Predator M.2 SSD Linux benchmarks. Since those results, which were rather disappointing when factoring in the cost of this solid-state storage, I've run some more tests. While the performance has improved with a newer Skylake Linux system, the results are still not as great as advertised and I'm just returning the darn drive.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=22217

  • #2
    I've been pretty impressed with samsung SM951 so far:
    # dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=131072
    1953586+1 records in
    1953586+1 records out
    256060514304 bytes (256 GB) copied, 102.796 s, 2.5 GB/s

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by BillBroadley View Post
      I've been pretty impressed with samsung SM951 so far:
      # dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=131072
      1953586+1 records in
      1953586+1 records out
      256060514304 bytes (256 GB) copied, 102.796 s, 2.5 GB/s
      Err.. is your distro remapping the device node to sda? It's a NVMe drive.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Kingston HyperX Predator SSD On Linux: Still Not Making Par

        Last week I posted some initial Kingston HyperX Predator M.2 SSD Linux benchmarks. Since those results, which were rather disappointing when factoring in the cost of this solid-state storage, I've run some more tests. While the performance has improved with a newer Skylake Linux system, the results are still not as great as advertised and I'm just returning the darn drive.

        http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=22217
        Those numbers still look like a device in sata mode... not NVMe. I dont think its boken. Unless the kernel identifies it as an NVMe...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
          Err.. is your distro remapping the device node to sda? It's a NVMe drive.
          No it's not.
          No idea what's wrong though. Kernel log might say how it's set up exactly albeit I'm not sure you'd see something there (I guess, there's always the potential of not having it configured as pcie 2.0 x4 for some reason or something, bugs in power management (which can also drop pcie lanes) but seems all pretty unlikely).
          That said, for pcie ssds to be faster than sata ones, you need the right workloads anyway - they are essentially faster at large file reads but not much else (the nvme ones are much faster with small blocks additionally but only at large queue depths). So they don't offer much in the value department unfortunately (albeit my belief is there's not really any technical reason why they are more expensive).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Kingston HyperX Predator SSD On Linux: Still Not Making Par

            Last week I posted some initial Kingston HyperX Predator M.2 SSD Linux benchmarks. Since those results, which were rather disappointing when factoring in the cost of this solid-state storage, I've run some more tests. While the performance has improved with a newer Skylake Linux system, the results are still not as great as advertised and I'm just returning the darn drive.

            http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=22217
            I did the first fs_mark test with command: fs_mark -n 1000 -s 1000000 -d foo
            Result: 257 files/s

            So it seems that you have samething wrong in your kernel. I have custom 4.1.6 kernel that matches my hardware. With ssd drive Default I/O scheduler should be Deadline. Also timer is 300Hz instead of 250Hz in Processor type and features. My ssd is 120GB Kingston SSDnow.

            Comment


            • #7
              @debianxfce: If V300, what firmware version?

              Kingston mem-gate: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7763/a...er-micron-nand

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                @debianxfce: If V300, what firmware version?

                Kingston mem-gate: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7763/a...er-micron-nand

                Nordichardware Storage Bench is a windows program. There has been a lot of bugs in windows mass media driver, for example we had win 7 that had only 1Mbit/s write speed and you could notice that in modern games, games were unplayable with that os and we installed win10 tech preview to solve the problem.

                ATA device, with non-removable media
                Model Number: KINGSTON SV300S37A120G
                Serial Number: 50026B774909C250
                Firmware Revision: 541ABBF0

                sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=131072
                915787+1 records in
                915787+1 records out
                120034123776 bytes (120 GB) copied, 594.568 s, 202 MB/s

                I used the www browser while dd was running but dd result is not near what Bill had but better what is in your link.

                Last edited by debianxfce; 10-08-2015, 06:38 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  for dd you need at least add iflag=direct to get reproducible results (without fs cache).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by marvin42 View Post
                    for dd you need at least add iflag=direct to get reproducible results (without fs cache).
                    While true, when doing dd over the entire SSD (typically an order of magnitude or more than RAM), the RAM cache isn't likely to make all that much of a difference.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X