No announcement yet.

Trying Out Linux File-Systems With The 4.2 Kernel On A USB Flash Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A comparison of file systems on USB flash drives without the default FAT32?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      Huh.. yet another usb flash drive test and no fat/exfat comparison even though 99% of people on Earth (probably also > 90% of Linux users) use fat/exfat on USB media.
      ntfs is necessary to manage file over 4GB . So to install operating system into USB drive occurs to format it choosing ntfs file system.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        ntfs is necessary to manage file over 4GB . So to install operating system into USB drive occurs to format it choosing ntfs file system.
        No, NTFS is not necessary. It's only necessary to switch to *some other* file system than fat32. There are alternatives.. hfs+, ntfs, exfat, ext2, ext3, f2fs and so on

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post

All my systems run Linux and can mount btrfs, obviously. Portability between OS is not a consideration for me.
          I guess my question is why you use usb flash drives between your own systems to begin with. Isn't everything hooked up to a network? That's why i think most people consider portability with outside systems more important for such hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I guess my question is why you use usb flash drives between your own systems to begin with. Isn't everything hooked up to a network? That's why i think most people consider portability with outside systems more important for such hardware.
            Indeed. I only use USB flash for:
            Backup for presentations
            Keepass keys
            Extra storage on journeys
            Bootloader for fully encrypted machine
            Distro installation
            Sharing stuff with others

For most uses and especially if your system breaks, you can't access btrfs with other people's computers.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              ntfs is necessary to manage file over 4GB ...
              No!
              There are lots of file systems supporting file sizes above 4 GB. NTFS is not the only one.

So to install operating system into USB drive occurs to format it choosing ntfs file system.
              At least 99% of USB flash drive users won't install an operating system into an USB flash drive and most operating system can't even boot from a NTFS file system.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
                No!
                There are lots of file systems supporting file sizes above 4 GB. NTFS is not the only one.

At least 99% of USB flash drive users won't install an operating system into an USB flash drive and most operating system can't even boot from a NTFS file system.
                I also had the impression that exfat is the default now.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

I also had the impression that exfat is the default now.
                  Yes, for SDXC cards larger than 32 GB.

Comment

For the past couple of years I had an emergency 8GB USB disk-on-key w/ fully working Fedora w/ XFCE (Usually the latest Fedora) running on ext4.
                    This worked just fine (when I needed it) up until a couple of weeks ago, when I tried upgrading the image to F22, when the disk-on-key over-heated and died (in its defence, it was 5 years old).
                    So, feeling rich, I spent 40$ and got a spanking 128GB device and I plan to install Fedora 22 on it.

So, suggestions: Should I use f2fs or stick to using ext4?

- Gilboa
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                    X