Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mibo View Post
    My T450s also arrived.
    It replaces a 2008 Dell Latitude D630 which I also run with OpenSuse. My first impressions are mixed - probably because I got so used to the Dell notebook which starts falling apart. So, I wanted to carry 1kg less and have a good screen which can be used for editing raw photos. Also, I didn't want to live in the adapter/dongle/cable hell as most of my MacBook Pro/Air using colleagues do. That's why i ended up with the Lenovo T450s with a 1920x1080 IPS screen and a real Ethernet connector. I also like trackpoints more than touchpads...

The performance (actually, the feel/responsiveness of the KDE desktop) did not yet impress me. I see no difference to my old Dell (which has a 2.5GHz dual core, 4GB ram and also a SSD). But, this is just the first impression...

Other things that I noticed are the noise from under the keyboard on the right side when it's really quiet at night (it's not a fan, but rather 'electronics' noise).
    The trackpoint keys don't work for me.
    Trackpoint keys should work if youre running a fully updated F21.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Google opens when hitting the search button (F10)?

Thanks for the info.

What I just realized - when I press the search button (F10), Firefox opens a google.de tab even though google is not my default search engine.
      Any idea, where to configure this behaviour? In the keyboard settings of KDE I found nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
        Thanks for the info.

What I just realized - when I press the search button (F10), Firefox opens a google.de tab even though google is not my default search engine.
        Any idea, where to configure this behaviour? In the keyboard settings of KDE I found nothing...
        Well the button itself is:

System Settings --> Shortcuts And Gestures --> Global Keyboard Shortcuts --> khotkeys ---> Search. The button is configurable

I'm not sure about the search engine
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Which webcam

I have the T450s and am trying to make the USB webcam work. I know it is an Acer / Sunplus but don't know which model exactly, it doesn't seem to be reported in the verbose lsusb output. Here is the relevent part of lsusb -v:
          Bus 001 Device 006: ID 5986:0366 Acer, Inc
          Device Descriptor:
          bLength 18
          bDescriptorType 1
          bcdUSB 2.00
          bDeviceClass 239 Miscellaneous Device
          bDeviceSubClass 2
          bDeviceProtocol 1 Interface Association
          bMaxPacketSize0 64
          idVendor 0x5986 Acer, Inc
          idProduct 0x0366
          bcdDevice 0.18
          iManufacturer 1 SunplusIT Inc
          iProduct 2 Integrated Camera
          iSerial 0
          bNumConfigurations 1

There are several Sunplus drivers in the kernel. I like to build drivers into the kernel and only build the ones for the actuall hardware I have so it would be great to figure out which one I need. Has anybody tested the webcam on linux and if so, can you let me know which module is loaded and makes the camera work?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Well the button itself is:

System Settings --> Shortcuts And Gestures --> Global Keyboard Shortcuts --> khotkeys ---> Search. The button is configurable

I'm not sure about the search engine
            Thank you. I found that setting.
            But, I need a bit more time to figure out how to use it correctly. On my first try, I then pressed F10 and about 100 Google search tabs did open in Firefox :-(
            Soon, I have some days off - and a lot of things to try with the T450s.

I also have to correct my first comment about felt performance. The T450s feels faster in my everyday use. LibreOffice opens faster and the switching between applications is also noticeable.

One problem, I saw several times was the 'degradation' of characters on the screen. For example, when reading a text in Firefox and scrolling down - some letters look like a corrupted bitmap, but the others stay fine... I have to investigate more on this (it might have been appearing just after switching the GTK2 theme on my KDE 4.14.6 desktop, or after applying software updates without restarting...)

Comment

Working...
            X