No announcement yet.

There's Talk Again About An "Open To The Core" Ubuntu Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The laptops recommended by the FSF are refurbished devices that come with up to 3GB RAM and a modern wireless card, for a more than acceptable price. The real issue is that they are out of stock without any information given on when new devices might be available, making this an academic discussion at best...

While I consider the idea of a new fully open laptop a brilliant one, I wonder why it should come with Ubuntu instead of a fully free distribution (I'm thinking of GNewSense for instance - I know it's not usable on everyday hardware, but in this case...).

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
      What a bunch of bitches...
      I looked the specs up for that piece of crap and you are right, it is a great laptop... for 2006.

512mb of ram? Are you insaine? If you are going to quit posting because comments like that make you mad... Please, never post again. My life is too precious to read your crap. I can only justify typing this as community service.
      You are further demonstrating that you and I have different qualifications for good hardware. Just because I require a require a certain standard for my hardware doesn't mean mine is "an outdated piece of crap"

Comments like that just show ignorance and misunderstanding what the device really represents. I understand that you are attracted to specs and consumer selling points, but I require other types of assurances before "specs" sell me.

I'm running 4GB of ram in my x60, for the sake of allowing you to choose something else to argue about. I'm sure you'll find something.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Surely you must be joking, even if you gave it an SSD it would still be outdated crap by today's hardware standards.
        I mean we're talking these processor options:
        • Intel Core Duo (Yonah) 1.66 or 1.83 GHz
        • Intel Core Solo (Yonah) 1.66 GHz
        • Intel Core 2 Duo (Merom) 1.66/1.83 GHz (2MB Cache) or 2.0 GHz (4MB Cache)

Whereas the average laptop is running an i3 at a minimum of ~1.7GHz usually more like 2.3GHz or so with a much much faster architecture (what's it... 3x the speed at this point?) and is clocked higher.

Also 512MB or 1GB of DDR2 RAM, don't make me laugh, the standard right now is between 4-8GB of DDR3, and DDR4 is starting to hit the market, and a minimum of 4GB of RAM is basically required for modern web browsing even if we're discounting things like running Gnome or KDE, and pretty much any serious productivity software (Eclipse is ~500MB in and of itself (granted it's pretty much the heaviest IDE I'm aware of although lets also be fair in that compiling tends to consume a ton of memory too)), more is preferred.

The GPU performance isn't even worth comparing the difference is so significant, and if you want to go higher in price than baseline i3s any comparison will utterly dwarf the x60

Plus if you want 5+Hours of battery life you can find it reasonably easily as long as you're not being a cheapskate.

It may have been nice in it's time and if appropriate upgrades are done, potentially still usable today, but don't delude yourself into thinking it's any kind of performance monster.
        I'm not going to convince a consumer of real standards. Just accept that mine are different than yours.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
          What a bunch of bitches...
          I looked the specs up for that piece of crap and you are right, it is a great laptop... for 2006.

512mb of ram? Are you insaine? If you are going to quit posting because comments like that make you mad... Please, never post again. My life is too precious to read your crap. I can only justify typing this as community service.
          Isnt there two slots, capable of handling up to 4GB total?

Comment

Originally posted by veleiro View Post
            I'm not going to convince a consumer of real standards. Just accept that mine are different than yours.
            It's a bit late in the day to be taking that stance since you bitched so vocally about Michael's standards. I guess everybody else needs to respect your standards for adequate hardware but you don't need to respect anybody else's?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              and a minimum of 4GB of RAM is basically required for modern web browsing even if we're discounting things like running Gnome or KDE, and pretty much any serious productivity software (Eclipse is ~500MB in and of itself (granted it's pretty much the heaviest IDE I'm aware of although lets also be fair in that compiling tends to consume a ton of memory too)), more is preferred.
              Kernel 3.17, systemd, KDE 4.13 uses 550 MiB of RAM. Up to 800 in long run.
              Firefox 31.2 uses 300MiB of RAM. Up to 1400 MiB in the long run (about 40 tabs open), with Adobe Flash using most of RAM.

So, minimum is really 2GiB.

... Also, picks laptop, talks about heaviest IDE, compiling...? Maybe start to bitch about raytracing, compiling KDE, at same time torrenting like hell, drawing something in 16000x16000 pic in GIMP and recording a video about that all?
              Are you serious?!

Go first find a laptop with watercooling.
              Last edited by brosis; 22 November 2014, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodzor View Post
                It's a bit late in the day to be taking that stance since you bitched so vocally about Michael's standards. I guess everybody else needs to respect your standards for adequate hardware but you don't need to respect anybody else's?
                The author of the article should use more professional manners at first place. Calling other people's ways as a crap is at least an insult..

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                  The author of the article should use more professional manners at first place. Calling other people's ways as a crap is at least an insult..
                  The article called a piece of hardware crap. Veliero called Michael an idiot and a moron and then whined that nobody else was respecting HIS opinion. I'd say the article was quite professional enough in relation to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodzor View Post
                    The article called a piece of hardware crap.
                    A product of an organization actually. Shouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                      Kernel 3.17, systemd, KDE 4.13 uses 550 MiB of RAM. Up to 800 in long run.
                      Firefox 31.2 uses 300MiB of RAM. Up to 1400 MiB in the long run (about 40 tabs open), with Adobe Flash using most of RAM.

So, minimum is really 2GiB.

... Also, picks laptop, talks about heaviest IDE, compiling...? Maybe start to bitch about raytracing, compiling KDE, at same time torrenting like hell, drawing something in 16000x16000 pic in GIMP and recording a video about that all?
                      Are you serious?!

Go first find a laptop with watercooling.
                      Did you even read what I was responding to?

Comment

Working...
                      X