No announcement yet.

ROCCAT LUA: A Linux-Friendly Gaming Mouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm... I have a Razer DeathAdder, pretty old by now (bought in 2009), and unfortunately the mousewheel is starting to act up. When it moves by one notch, it sometimes acts as if it moved two or one down and one up. Not an issue in regular work, but for FPS games where the scrollwheel controls weapon switching (Unreal Tournament 4 ) it's really unfortunate. So I'm not sure what to do. Maybe there's a way to clean it somehow, hmm... Otherwise it works well, even at this age, whereas my parents went through around four mice in the same timespan.

Comment

Roccat is great
      I went to the shop to buy the lua but then tested the roccat kone pure. I was surprised that it felt so good in my hand, so i bought the more expensive kone pure. I'm sure the lua isn't bad, but it felt really a bit cheaper than the kone pure. Okay, the price of the latter is much higher.

Of course the mice also work without special drivers but if you want to configure special settings or want to update the firmware you need this special software, which works great here (Fedora). I think roccat supports the driver developer, although it is no official support. Sad that it isn't, though.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Hmm... I have a Razer DeathAdder, pretty old by now (bought in 2009), and unfortunately the mousewheel is starting to act up. When it moves by one notch, it sometimes acts as if it moved two or one down and one up. Not an issue in regular work, but for FPS games where the scrollwheel controls weapon switching (Unreal Tournament 4 ) it's really unfortunate. So I'm not sure what to do. Maybe there's a way to clean it somehow, hmm... Otherwise it works well, even at this age, whereas my parents went through around four mice in the same timespan.

happens to me too, just clean it
        may not be easy if its mechanical, but it doesn't have to be perfect

Comment

Originally posted by mufasa72 View Post
          I have a Razer Naga mouse and never had a problem with it. The back/forward buttons work in the browser and I use the side buttons as Blender hot keys. I've never used it for MMO gaming on Linux, so I can't tell you your mileage in that realm, but I'm definitely happy with the Linux support (even if it is owned community).

I agree that it is desirable to have support from the actual company that produces the hardware.
          For starters, not all games can see more than 4-5 buttons. With Easy shift keys(which works in similar to shift button on keyboard) you can easilly bind over 15 buttons INSIDE rather a OK Linux interface.
          Torchlight allows 10 buttons to be bound. 2 Buttons for mice, rest is keyboard. So your razor is rather useless, if you can't reprogram it on Windows, which I, as true Linux zealot, don't have.
          Pretty same issue with Metro 2034.

Comment

to rebind anything
            I'm searching for a way to remap certain keys in ubuntu. i.e. I'd like to change PgUp to Home or PgDown to End. Does a built-in command or a tool exist reassign keys in Ubuntu/GNOME?

Comment

I really like Roccat stuff in general. I have a Ryos MK Pro keyboard and a KoneXTD mouse. Easily the best stuff I've owned, and the software tools are pretty good. My only real complaint about Roccat stuff is the macro functionality is incomplete, as they don't allow "repeat macro while button pressed" which every other macro kb or mouse supports. I emailed their support about this feature, and they did reply saying that this may show up in later firmwares but didn't promise anything. Which is too bad, as having thing like a rapid fire trigger button isn't really what I'd call a rare feature on a high end gaming mouse or keyboard. To be clear about it, that functionality is missing on both windows and linux. My old mouse could do that easily -- if I wrote the macros in windows, which frankly isn't something I would bother with these days seeing as how little I actually boot into windows these days.

#2 for keyboards is the Logitech G15/G510/G19-types which have really awesome support thanks to the Gnome15 project (which works in everything, not just gnome), and are good choices if you don't mind non-mechanical keyboards. Support for the LCD is actually far more advanced than what you get in Windows. Which is good, because no linux games support the gamepanel.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                @Ericg & @gripped

It could have non gaming aesthetics and still be usable for gaming. But anyway. They know their target audience.
                If it works great with Linux, who cares what it looks like? You can turn the LEDs off.

Comment

I actually own a bunch of Roccat stuff. I own the Kone XTD, the Kave XTD 5.1 Digital, and the Roccat Sense mousepad.

It's all been a pretty pleasant experience. I've gone through two mouses, one I literally threw across the room when I lost a tournament game thanks to people at home. I've also owned the Kave XTD 5.1 (not digital), and it was alright... had some cord size issues but most people probably won't have the same problem I will (since I get up and down from my chair probably a hundred or more times a day).

I will note that they are not easy people to reach (a few mail providers will not send or receive email from them) and their customer support isn't that amazing.
                  The Linux driver developer(s) *do* pay attention to SF threads and emails.

Comment

Roccat mice are too click sensitive.
                    IMO get a Corsair, or Mionix.

Roccat, Razer, Madcats, Steelseries, Logitech. All have very sensitive L/R buttons.
                    I kinda like resting my fingers on the buttons without clicking them.

Comment

I have a Roccat Kone XTD and I have to admit this is one of the few things I have ever bought that I have zero complaints. zero. The drivers are excellent, the mouse works as good as it did day one just over one year later and I map everything to do stuff in kde.
                      Last edited by ParticleBoard; 29 September 2014, 12:38 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                      X