No announcement yet.

Linux Multi-Monitor Support Could Be Improved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In some games might be useful. Imagine a RTS with the action on one monitor and a strategical map on the other monitor. A friend told me that in Supreme Commander it can be done and it can be... supreme.

Comment

Originally posted by Khudsa View Post
      In some games might be useful. Imagine a RTS with the action on one monitor and a strategical map on the other monitor. A friend told me that in Supreme Commander it can be done and it can be... supreme.
      Agreed, but unfortunately most games aren't designed like that. In fact, I get the impression that most games, even in Windows, tend to struggle with multiple monitors, especially of different sizes. In the end, it tends to make more sense to just get a bigger monitor than get 2+ separate ones for gaming. This doesn't so much apply if you're using projectors, since you don't get that division down the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
        Windows has KMS (or something like that?) since when? Last time I checked (granted, some people say it doesn't crash anymore) it still does a BSOD in 'text' mode right? The white on Blue remember?

Now if you would have said OS X has 'KMS' since god knows when, you had a very valid point. But at least XP booted something that was more like 'bootsplash' if anything.
        Windows 8 does graphical bsod, not that kms excludes text mode. Also what good is it to compare windows from 2001 to current linux, how well did the boot on linux look at that point in time?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          In the end, it tends to make more sense to just get a bigger monitor than get 2+ separate ones for gaming.
          That's not an option for me because my second monitor is a Wacom Cintiq 12WX (1280x800) while my main monitor is 1920x1080. So for me it's annoying since I need my Wacom to be hooked up and working most of the time (without having to adjust settings in the AMD Catalyst Control Center), but I also want to play games sometimes. I've gotten most games to run, but usually there's problems (maybe Gnome-Shell specific) and the resolutions are sometimes limited to the Cintuq's aspect ratio.

Comment

"While some want Linux multi-monitor support removed"...

Tell them to go to hell.

With the price of monitors and the added abilties added with an extra, these crazy people are not to be listened to. Multi-monitor support is a must for a OS being taken seriously in this era.

Comment

I've used the "Separate X Servers" option for a while now. The downside is not being able to drag windows between screens, but that really isn't a problem after you get used to it. WRT gaming, as long as the game doesn't restrict your cursor you can multitask at will.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Spain View Post
                I've used the "Separate X Servers" option for a while now. The downside is not being able to drag windows between screens, but that really isn't a problem after you get used to it. WRT gaming, as long as the game doesn't restrict your cursor you can multitask at will.
                Even then, some games will free the cursor for you when needed. Titles that use SDL for handling their inputs have keyboard commands which can free the mouse cursor (crtl-g), although I have sometimes had to move them to a window to make it work right (alt-enter). Once you are done whatever you wanted to do, you can then just press alt-enter and crtl-g again, and you are golden. Not completely ideal, but it does work for certain titles.

Comment

Another shout out for Zaphod mode, which restores some of the sanity by generally treating displays individually, which is usually what you want. It's ideal for setups like mine where you have one regular monitor on a desk and a large TV connected across the room. The only catch is that you can't drag windows across displays.

Still, it would be nice to be able to specify exactly what you want in a consistent way. I don't think it's feasible for these things to "just work" because everyone will have different setups, needs, and expectations. Some configuration is okay as long as its straightforward.

Comment

In Zaphod mode, I know you can't drag windows, but will the mouse Pointer go between monitors? I plan on setting up 3 soon, and wondered if xrandr or Zaphod would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonzest View Post
                      In Zaphod mode, I know you can't drag windows, but will the mouse Pointer go between monitors? I plan on setting up 3 soon, and wondered if xrandr or Zaphod would be better.
                      Yes. But I think the behaviour with fullscreen applications can vary. Usually a fullscreen application will grab the mouse so you can't move the pointer onto another display and have that application lose focus. That's almost always what you want though.

It may depend on which desktop you're using but at least with XFCE, applications will open on the display where the icon was clicked. Otherwise, start the application with DISPLAY=:0.1 or some applications accept a -display argument.

It's also worth remembering multiple pointers too. If a fullscreen application grabs the mouse, you could potentially have another one on another display for doing other things. However, the last time I tried this with XFCE, the first pointer was always grabbed regardless of which one actually clicked the application icon.
                      Last edited by Chewi; 09 September 2012, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X