Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for a powerfull Gnu/Linux Laptop

Hello Everyone,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but. I live in Portugal, and I start searching a laptop for my studies. I am studing on the university to became Software Engineer. And I wanted a laptop 100% compactible with Gnu/Linux. I am using an Asus 1215N (so as you may understand, it isn't quite the joy... and I'm just talking about the Optimus nothing else).

So I needed a cheap laptop (as a student I don't have lot of money, in fact in order to buy a new laptop I need to sell of trade my Asus 1215N), where I could run Gnu/Linux perfectly, and by this I mean :

- No Ati or Nvidia (even knowing I will use my laptop for gaming/software development, I want something totally opensource. Because I simply had enough of all of the nVidia/Ati wories in Linux), so an Intel would be nice (HD4000 Ivy Bridge if possible).
    - A good CPU (everything more powerfull than an Atom D525 is welcome... and believe me.. It isn't that hard ).
    - A decent battery live (since I use it in the university, I need something that can at least last 2 hours)

This requirements are just options, nothing more, if you have another idea, than please tell me !

Thanks in Advance for all your help,
    And sorry for my horrible english (and for the mistake if this post does not belong here :S)

Cordially,
    Luis Da Costa

Just curious, why skip on Ati because of fglrx? The AMD open drivers are quite comparable to the intel ones (more stable, but lack Intel's video accel).

I'd recommend a Trinity laptop otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Just curious, why skip on Ati because of fglrx? The AMD open drivers are quite comparable to the intel ones (more stable, but lack Intel's video accel).

I'd recommend a Trinity laptop otherwise
      I only had bad experiencies with ATI GPU's, even with opensource drivers, but It is not a problem to me to give ti a try again . Is there any especific model you think it is great under the requiremente I need ?

PS : Just to know If I am right.... Trinity is the A4, A6 and A10 APU from ATI right ?

Comment

PS : Just to know If I am right.... Trinity is the A4, A6 and A10 APU from ATI right ?
        Only the later models; early A4, A6, A8 are earlier generation (llano). It might be cheaper to get the earlier gen, if it's still fast enough for your requirements.

I don't have any exact model to recommend, though. Check reviews on available laptops for battery life, etc.

Comment

Only the later models; early A4, A6, A8 are earlier generation (llano). It might be cheaper to get the earlier gen, if it's still fast enough for your requirements.

I don't have any exact model to recommend, though. Check reviews on available laptops for battery life, etc.
          Thank you for your help ! But do you know any manufacturer that sell computers (even in second-hand) but without any OS or with Linux ? I really don't want to pay for a Windows Licence :S

Comment

Most manufacturers (HP, Lenovo, Dell, Asus...) sell new computers with no OS (freedos disc bundled) or with linux. Though these ranges are more limited.

For example, here's a Llano laptop from Asus for 400e, with freedos: http://geizhals.at/eu/746225

Comment

Most manufacturers (HP, Lenovo, Dell, Asus...) sell new computers with no OS (freedos disc bundled) or with linux. Though these ranges are more limited.

For example, here's a Llano laptop from Asus for 400e, with freedos: http://geizhals.at/eu/746225
              Thank you the website ! I didn't knew about it

PS : I have already bought a laptop, for 150? I bought one Asus G1S. That can do for now I think ^_^. I will save the link, never knows if I need it in the future .

Once again, thank's a lot for you help ! I just have one last question concerning this website. The keyboard are german or we can choose ?

Thanks in Advance
              Luis Da Costa

Comment

The keyboard are german or we can choose ?
                It depends on the store. BTW, geizhals is EU-wide, that link had laptops from Poland

Comment

It depends on the store. BTW, geizhals is EU-wide, that link had laptops from Poland
                  I tought that the site was the store herself :S

Thanks for you help anyways ^^ Really a big thank you

Comment

Acer Aspire 5560G/7560G have pretty good Linux support (just don't forget to install latest BIOS that include fixes for Linux support). The only thing you need to do - disable discrete GPU in BIOS to increase battery life (more than 2 hours).
                    WiFi require Broadcom proprietary driver, but in Ubuntu/Kubuntu there is 1-Click utility Additional Drivers, that help install this driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X